Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone camping with kids this year?

Yes, there is lots to do. I have three sons, who were, in our fist family trip there in 2010, the same ages as yours. They have varying interest in aviation but they all loved KidVenture. It is very hands on, very immersive, and they get two hours credit towards their A&P certificate! Go upstairs in the museum and you will find more fun things for the kids. There are also various kid friendly activities throughout the event. The one thing you can't do is leave them in Camp Scholler…boring. My middle son, who is not aviation minded, is sitting right next to me saying that he loved seeing the blimp, the airshow ("awesome"), "the museum was pretty cool." (literally…on a hot Wisconsin summer day.) As great as Wittman field activities are, you have to have a means to escape. Swimming has been mentioned. There is not only the waterpark but, amazing as this may sound, Lake Winnebago actually has a beach. Get them off the airfield for dinner, at least once in awhile, even if you plan to grill at your campsite. Oshkosh is the home of outlet malls, so let your daughters indulge for a few hours (that is, if you can't convince them that the hands on experience of actually building an airplane is the be all and end all.)

We will be camped at Warbirds all week. Come by and see us and I am sure that my boys will be glad to tell them what is fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Greenwood View Post
    what I think they are saying if you read between the lines is that the parents are putting their needs and interests first and not the infants.
    I think you're being a tad bit dramatic, aren't you Bill? I've been coming to Oshkosh since the mid 90's (annually since 2003), so I'm familiar with the weather. We'll have to pull up the camper and run the A/C in the afternoon if temps get too bad, but it is far from being child-abuse. We also live next to our airport, so the kids are very familiar with aircraft sounds (not the harrier, of course). I do appreciate the point that you're trying to make that if we are required to be at the show all day, it would be very boring for the kids. However, we'll have enough adults that the kids can do other stuff. Like Mickrat we'll start out with just a half week this time to see how it goes.

Also, just a note; a 3 year old is far from an infant. Mine's not even a toddler. My little guy will turn 3 next month and he already runs, climbs trees, & talks in full sentences and things. He is actually the least of my worries, as he is pretty much happy anywhere and is small enough to ride in a wagon when needed. In fact he'll probably do a lot less complaining than the ladies that will be with us!

Back to the topic at hand:
    Where is the beach? (We're stopping in Gurnee for a few days so we'll already have beach attire)
    Is the water park this one, or is there a bigger one? http://www.ci.oshkosh.wi.us/Parks/Po...ty_Water_Park/

Rawheels, if you read my post carefully, you can note that I don't say all kids will suffer at Osh, I am talking specifically about the 3 year old. The dictionary defines infant, "as a child in the earliest years of life", which I would say includes age 3.
    But let's not split hairs or diapers. I don't think the good part of Oshkosh are aimed at a 3 year old. And when we are talking about noise, with the jet demos it is far noisier than just living near most airports. I have seen many children crying in fear and or ear pain while the Father sits there thinking how great the jet act or bomb burst are.

When I read "camping" I was thinking of someone in a tent, which is not heated and certainly not cooled. Being in a camper, ie an RV with air conditioning, running water, flush toilets, etc is a whole step up in comfort. I haven't stayed in one but have visited a few cocktail parties and they seemed to do pretty well.

I often see small children, infants, at airshows, and all too often they have no sunglasses, no hat and no hearing protection, and may be sunburned which is no joke, but a predecessor to skin cancer. The parents may or may not have these for themselves.
    While a child may survive some level of neglect or less than ideal care, just as they survived it for years in the past it still is not best. I am sure you love and care for your child; would you want them in a car with no seat belt, or with someone smoking? Or eating and drinking cokes at McDonald's or watching tv 8 hours a day? Hey, kids survived it in the past. Do you take them to the local dragstrip or gun range?

We know better now. There is nothing so precious as a child, and they will grow up all too soon. Let's do our best for them while we can. And when they are a little older, I'd consider it almost neglect Not to bring them to Airventure.
    And as for temp at EAA if you have been coming since the 90's, ( I began 1984), you have seen days over a 100* and many over 90*. The only time I have seen 40*C was in the late 90's one year at EAA. That's awfully hot for anyone especially a child.
    Last edited by Bill Greenwood; 01-09-2014 at 02:53 PM.

I have to agree with both of Bill's posts. I've seen "kids" that I knew for a fact, were miserable.
    Last edited by malexander; 01-09-2014 at 02:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Greenwood View Post
    The only time I have seen 40*C was in the late 90's one year at EAA.
    That was a hot year! It was 1995, and we set a record temp in Oshkosh at 101 degrees. That was the year that Cessna had a big display announcing it was going to start producing single engine aircraft again. Pretty neat (I was going to say cool, but that wouldn't be correct). Before heading out on the trip I'll watch out for record temps, pack all of the required sun protection items, and I was hoping to have a list of items from this thread of things for the kids to do.

Quote Originally Posted by malexander View Post
    I've seen "kids" that I knew for a fact, were miserable.
    Including a lot of 50+ age kids!

Quote Originally Posted by rawheels View Post

Including a lot of 50+ age kids!
    Yeah, that's true too. And I've sat next to them on the trams!
    Last edited by malexander; 01-11-2014 at 04:59 AM.

The beach is Menominee Park, downtown. 112 Otter street, north of the river. It is free. It is supposed to be the cleanest beach in Wisconsin. Water tested weekly and results published online. The beach's sand is combed regularly and changed annually. Menominee park also has a zoo and a recreation area. If you are going to be in Oshkosh a week with kids, it is good to let them get away from it all at least once.

In the spirit of full disclosure, I did not go with them. That was Dad's day to be alone among the airplanes and forums.

Made a note of this, my kids had their first lake swimming experience in North Dakota last summer and loved it. I (being the airplane junky) never researched much outside of the airport and restaurants!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayhemxpc View Post
    The beach is Menominee Park, downtown. 112 Otter street, north of the river. It is free. It is supposed to be the cleanest beach in Wisconsin. Water tested weekly and results published online. The beach's sand is combed regularly and changed annually. Menominee park also has a zoo and a recreation area. If you are going to be in Oshkosh a week with kids, it is good to let them get away from it all at least once.

In the spirit of full disclosure, I did not go with them. That was Dad's day to be alone among the airplanes and forums.
    Jim Hann
    EAA 276294 Lifetime
    Vintage 722607
    1957 Piper PA-22/20 "Super Pacer"
    Chapter 32 member www.eaa32.org
    www.mykitlog.com/LinerDrivr
    Fly Baby/Hevle Classic Tandem

My kids loved it, when the little one got tired, one of is would take her back to the RV for a nap. No big deal. ALL of them loved kidventure. This is quality family time. Why leave them at home with a babysitter?