Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Honoring VETS ?

Honoring VETS ?

There are going to be activities to honor military vets on Fri. at Airventure.
    The singer is Tony Orlando, really, I am not making this up. I think EAA can and should do better than that. I didn't even know T O was still around, he is not exactly a current music star. I thnk Bob Uecker had more hits than Orlando. I know these vets are old guys, my Dad used to listen to Lawerence Welk, but Tony Orlando is to music as velvet paintings are to art. I have been to a lot of airshows in 34 years, but never once heard Orlando being played.
    I guess money is a factor, and I'm sure they want a right winger which Orlando certainly is, but there have got to be others.I know Hank fits that label.
    EAA is trying to attract some younger people. I don't think Orlando is going to be a real draw for that group.
    How about Lee Greenwood, no relation by the way? Or Hank Williams, Jr.?There must be others.
    I guess the best way is to let the vets make a choice.
    Last edited by Bill Greenwood; 07-12-2013 at 08:28 AM.

Tony Orlando has a long history of honoring veterans Bill, especially those of the Vietnam era. The Honor Flight that leaves on Friday morning and returns Friday evening will be full of Vietnam veterans, and they will be welcomed back by Tony singing "Tie a Yellow Ribbon 'Round the Ole Oak Tree," which is entirely appropriate! It's what the song is all about after all...

From his website:

Tony Orlando’s 1973 mega-hit “Tie a Yellow Ribbon ‘Round The Ole Oak Tree” has become an anthem of freedom, hope and homecoming, as well as a symbol to support our troops and for families waiting for loved ones to return home. The yellow ribbon has welcomed home soldiers and POWs from Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam, the hostages from Iran, Troops from Desert Storm, Operation Iraqi Freedom and the ongoing Operation Enduring Freedom. Orlando credits Bob Hope for weaving “Tie A Yellow Ribbon” into the moral fabric of America and starting a tradition that ultimately made the song a symbol of support for American Fighting forces.

“The first time I ever sang ‘Yellow Ribbon’ live was at the Cotton Bowl in 1973 in front of 70,000 people’” Orlando recalls. “I had been invited by Bob Hope to help welcome home our POW’s from Vietnam, Cambodia and Laos. The song wasn’t even a #1 hit yet. It was only #43 with a bullet on the charts,” explained Orlando. “I remember asking, ‘Mr. Hope, “Why did you choose me to open this special show?’ Bob Hope then turned to me and said, ‘Because Tony, when I heard your song on the radio, I told my wife Delores, that the opening line, ‘I’m coming home, I’ve done my time’ is every soldiers wish and every mother’s prayer. That is why YOU are the ONLY one who could open this show!’

EAA Staff / Moderator Hal Bryan's Avatar
    Not to mention the fact that this particular Honor Flight is officially titled "The Yellow Ribbon Honor Flight"...

Hal Bryan
    EAA Lifetime 638979
    Vintage 714005 | Warbirds 553527
    Managing Editor
    EAA—The Spirit of Aviation

Guys, I am not exactly the leading expert on the hot music scene, but you might check the calender, It is 2013, and 1973 was 40 years ago.
    Whoever selected T O is way less hip than I am, and that is hard to do.

If EAA can't or doesn't want to pay for someone more current, then they ought to just play a recording of the great British singer Vera Lynn, how about WHITE CLIFFS OF DOVER? a great song that I'll bet a lot of older vets listened to and meant something for back then.

I know a lot of these vets may be from the Nam era, but I'll bet they didn't have too many T O albums playing at home or in the barracks even back then.
    As for the Cotton Bowl, well I grew up watching games there either in person or on tv. My first year was '64 when Ou went in ranked No. 1 after beating USC and Texas beat them. I saw Texas beat Notre Dame the first time, probably about '68 or 69. This was the famous comment from Royal when it was pointed out that N D had the no 1 run defense in the country, and Texas was not a good passing team. Royal said, "We"re gonna dance with the ones who brung us." and Texas won the game with a last minute ground touchdown.
    Now by 73, I was in Colorado, and we were listening to Dylan, John Denver, and Nitty Gritty Dirt Band. I had some rental apartments and one was rented by Jimmie Fadden of the Dirt Band. And if you say TO drew 70,000 to the Cotton Bowl, maybe it happened. But I sure don't recall any of my friends from back home being excited about TO.

Enuff said, but maybe give some thought for next year if you pick a music act. If they hurry, maybe they can lock up Wayne Newton before he gets all booked. Who knows, I might be all wrong, maybe this will start a new craze and polyester suits will be in every store window.
    The vets flight to DC is of course a great idea, but I let the vets choose who music they want to listen on the flight and I doubt if TO will be the choice.
    Last edited by Bill Greenwood; 07-12-2013 at 09:05 AM.

All I can really say is, for THIS particular Honor Flight on THIS particular occasion, Tony Orlando is THE perfect choice. Bill, I'll gladly supply you with ear plugs if the music offends you that much.

Zack, you yourself have the perfect sounding board with your Dad. Ask him first what singer he likes, and after he gives his answer then run the Tony Orlando idea by him. Maybe he is the no 1 choice for this event and vets of that era.

I did just speak to a friend of mine who grew up in Texas, was there the whole time and is Nam era, age 71,but was not it the military. I asked him what he remembered about Tony Orlando, and he said, "WHO?" He never heard of him. He lives in Austin which was and is a vibrant music scene, but our folks from back in the 70's are like Janis Joplin and Willie Nelson. Willie is still going strong, bet the vets would love him.

This wouldn't be the first time that I was off in left field.
    If I ever write anything on any forum that most people agree with, then I'll know that I am getting senile, and losing my touch.

In all seriousness, which is a condition that I don't like to dwell in too long, the idea of honoring the vets is what counts,more than any particular method.

EAA might consider giving them a dinner at the museum or a nice tent on the grounds with some good food and good beer or a glass of nice wine.

Thanks for the earplug offer, but I always bring some to Osh, you never know when some jet or T-28 is going to fly by.
    Last edited by Bill Greenwood; 07-12-2013 at 09:54 AM.

It's funny that you mentioned my dad. My parents happened to be in town for the past three days, and last night I mentioned to them that Tony Orlando would be singing in honor of the veterans coming back from the Honor Flight, and Dad immediately sang out the first line of the song, "I'm coming home, I've done my time." He knew what it was about right away.

Then again, my folks have been to Branson, and Tony Orlando is a major act down there where he has done a lot to honor veterans of all eras.

Thanks guys, now I've the an earworm of that song!!!! :-)

If the vets don't like it then we have a problem. If others who are not veterans don't like it please keep it to yourselves, it is about the VETS.
    Name:  usa.gif
Views: 460
Size:  10.1 KBName:  USA-2.jpg
Views: 523
Size:  9.5 KB
    Jim
    (medically disqualified when I tried to enlist out of high school)
    Jim Hann
    EAA 276294 Lifetime
    Vintage 722607
    1957 Piper PA-22/20 "Super Pacer"
    Chapter 32 member www.eaa32.org
    www.mykitlog.com/LinerDrivr
    Fly Baby/Hevle Classic Tandem

Zack, obviously you have it right from the horse's mouth, so to speak about what singer that era of vets like,and I was mistaken.

One caution, I am sure your Dad is good at keeping a secret. As for me I had a "Secret" clearance when I was in the service, not "Top Secret" since my unit did comm work also. Now I never gave any secrets to the enemy, but then again, I didn't know any secrets either, certainly not any that they felt they wanted.
    But you might want to keep this Tony Orlando thing under wraps and only on a "need to know basis".
    Otherwise you are going to be mobbed by young folks trying to get in the see him and get an autograph. They will be coming over the fences like shades of Woodstock, or maybe like the day after Thanksgiving sale at Walmart. How will EAA handle the crowds of thousands?

And it is really fortuitous that EAA has locked up Tony for this year as I hear rumors that he is going to be the opening act for the Stones in their world tour next year, and thus not available. Have you heard this also?

And by the way Jim Hann, I did enlist so technically I am a vet. But either way, I would not tell you that you should "keep your opinion to yourself". I think you or I or anyone, no matter what opinion they have, has a right to express it. Isn't one of the principles that our country was founded on, as contained in the Constitution?
    Last edited by Bill Greenwood; 07-12-2013 at 04:09 PM.

I don't think having Tony Orlando is anything to do with being a "right winger" but specifically that song. I remember it well. 1973 was the first year I went to Oshkosh with my brother and I was 7 years old. That song was on the radio all the time. My oldest brother served during Vietnam, thankfully stateside at Nike Hercules base. My other brother that took me to Oshkosh and the Burlington show in 1973 was one round away from being drafted when they called off the draft. Although I was young at the time I fully appreciate the stress of that war and the fear of my brother possibly getting shipped off and not coming back. That song brings back memories of that time.
    Last edited by John Leidel; 07-12-2013 at 06:01 PM.