Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Identification help required

Identification help required

A couple of days ago, we opened a packing crate which had traveled from Florida and been abandoned in a warehouse in the UK for 20 years... Inside were the remnants of a homebuilt aircraft, and I was hoping that someone here may be able to identify it (without pictures...)

It is a high wing, all metal cabin aircraft with side by side seating and tricycle undercarriage. So far it could be anything, right?..

Here's the rub. The cockpit doesn't have a door, but rather the whole windshield appears to slide forwards on rails. Overall, the aircraft looks almost identical to a Bede BD4, but has a rectangular section main spar and a fuel tank between the engine and cabin. The windscreen perspex is also curved at the edges as opposed to the Bede's flat screen. It seems as if at least some of the aircraft has flown before - at Oshkosh 1988.

I have tried to find a high wing aircraft with a sliding canopy but without success... can you help? Any ideas are gratefully received.

regards,

John

Some ZLIN's have side by side and a forward sliding canopy

So a couple of questions.

1) Is there a registration number on it? The FAA records branch in Oklahoma might help there.

2) What make and model engine?

3) Is it a true high wing or is the wing at shoulder height? I recall that the Bolkow Junior, which was a German aircraft might meet your description.

Best of luck,

Wes

Not a zlin - certainly not one that I can ID...

1) No registration number or makers mark that we can find so far

2) Not a clue - no engine with it. Probably Lycoming 4 cylinder based on the mount.

3) True High wing. The Bolkow Junior is not the aircraft in question. Find a picture of a Bede Bd4 and remove the forward upright pillars of the windscreen.

This has us baffled.

Photos would help...

Name:  9_03_14 (30).jpg
Views: 1152
Size:  87.4 KBName:  9_03_14 (28).jpg
Views: 1250
Size:  94.4 KBName:  9_03_14 (29).jpg
Views: 922
Size:  90.0 KBName:  9_03_14 (33).jpg
Views: 941
Size:  90.4 KBName:  9_03_14 (32).jpg
Views: 901
Size:  93.5 KB
    At long last I've been back to the hangar where the mystery kit is stored / casually abandoned. We are still no further forward to identifying it, other than it is not a Bede BD4 or a whitman tailwind. Answers on a postcard to.....

Found it! Its a Durand Mk V...

John,

That is a some pretty persistent sleuthing.
    Are you planning to fix it and make it fly?

Tim

A bit late to the thread but I did recognize your description as a Durand which is actually a cabin biplane

Sorry for the late reply, but I believe that the plan is to sell it. The owner has no intention of completing the build due to the difficulty of obtaining parts and plans in the UK. We don't believe that one has ever been certified here, and interest is somewhat lacking in the type... We have no idea as to its original registration, although we think that it was airworthy for the 87-88 seasons (based on the Sun n Fun stickers). The rumour is that it suffered a ground-based collision which wrote off the wings and tail, leaving what you see in the pictures. There are new wing spars, but not much else of the wings.. There is a new rear fuselage.