Thread: What's that Plane

What's that Plane

I took a couple of pictures of this airplane in the vintage camping area during AV2011. For the life of me, I can't identify it. Can anyone help?
    Name:  Yellow Bird 01.jpg
Views: 412
Size:  65.6 KBName:  Yellow Bird 02.jpg
Views: 509
Size:  60.2 KB

Gerry

That's an L-13.

Search the web for "1947 Consolidated Vultee L-13" there's a bunch of info out there. Last I saw, this one (or a similar one if a few are still around) was for sale on Barnstormers.

EDIT: Wikipedia lists it under Stinson http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stinson_L-13

Developed when Stinson was a subsidiary of Consolidated Vultee. Interestingly, they indicate the radial engine versions were later civilian conversions.
    Last edited by WBNH; 09-13-2011 at 05:13 PM.

What is up with the tail in that first pic? Almost looks like a V tail, I thought the L-13 had a regular tail?

I believe they're just displaying it's fold capability. Horizontal stab and elev fold up, wings rotate and fold back flush.

Thanks WBNH. I thought it had a Vultee look about it, but the radial engine threw me. I did picture show for the chapter last evening and no one in chapter 30 knew it either.

The underside of the stab has two sets of fittings for the strut, allowing for "flying" and "camping" positions.

Cheers
    Gerry

If I recall correctly, they were delivered with a flat engine, and many have been re-engined to radials over the years. There was one parked outside my hangar semi-derilect for several years. Big, big 2 place airplane!