Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Build, then fly?

Wow Ranger, your words seem more fear-based than cautious, and your suggestions seem a tad dogmatic. I think you are doing what is best for you, and others of us may do things differently. Life is about choices, weighing pros and cons, that sort of thing. Oh, and it should also be about fun. Best to you.

Quote Originally Posted by rangerofthewest View Post
    I wouldn't recommend it. I may be new to flying, but I know a lot about planes. If you are new to flying, don't start by building a plane. Start by getting experienced in a plane you feel safe in. Once you have a high performance rating, I recommend the Cirrus SR22 model. Once you have skill, and feel comfortable with flying in potentially hazardous situations, then build a plane.
    Where would one find an SR22 to rent? Not everybody has a wealthy parent with a Cirrus and an Eclipse, you know... I suspect if the OP could afford an SR22, he'd probably buy one instead of building a plane. A high-performance rating is not necessary for most homebuilts. I'm also not sure why you're insinuating that building a plane means one would be 'flying in potentially hazardous situations'.

You may 'know a lot about planes', but remember that you are young and there are people that have been building/flying airplanes for what amounts to several times your lifetime. A little humility would do you well.

Learning to fly before or during the time you build your plane will make your plane turn out even better. If you've never flown before, you don't know what you like. I know that if I built my own plane from scratch, it would be drastically different now than if I decided to build it before I got my license. Experience gives you a taste of what you're comfortable with, what preferences you like, etc.

Best of luck~
    Pilot training and career information - How To Become A Pilot

The most important thing is to fall in love with your build. The second is to BEG A RIDE, You do not have to learn to fly to build. Building is an oppurtunity, Money. space, HUNGER. Dont build beyond your ability if you cant buy parts. Remember the cost of firewall forward. You should NEVER change the plans to what you think is right. Flying may give you a feel how the controls should feel but remember you are building to plans and the advice and experience of others THAT ARE FLYING the plane you to are building. When you get your license and your build is years away what do you do with your skill? Rent planes. This will take all your money away from building your dream. I will finish my Sprint 2012 and then get my sport license fly off my 40 and be wonderful.
    Joe Goldman
    Sprint N198JL

I had always wanted to build an airplane but had not really looked into very deeply. A friend from the days when my Dad ran a Hobby Shop contacted me about making some parts for a Grumman Wildcat. He owned a Pitts (and what model builder doesn't love a Pitts) and after looking it over I knew this was something I could build. My friend was starting an Air Center and asked if I was interested in learning to fly.(dumb question) I saw a copy of Homebuilt Aircraft (1982) at the news stand that had John Monett's Sonerai design on the cover and being a big fan of the early Goodyear Racers I was hooked. I don't really remember which came first, ordering the kit or taking my first lesson but they all happened in the scope of about a week. I learned to fly as I was building which took almost exactly 2 years. I got checked out in a 65HP J-3 and with about 85 hours in my Log Book I test flew my Sonerai. The experience was great.Name:  1.jpg
Views: 2045
Size:  20.0 KB

Matt. I don't know about Kansas, but you can rent a Cirrus SR-20 at Leading Edge at Loveland, Colo, FNL,and I think there is a school at Denver Metro that has plastic wonders also.

That is how I am doing it. Just finishing up an RV-12 and the flying lessons begin just as soon as the test phase is over. I found that by building before learning how to fly has helped me to understand more about an aircraft than any textbook could ever do.

Learn flying and enjoy the feeling of flying, it's wonderful

I have to put my 2 cents in here. Do not do what I have done!!!
    This is about building before not knowing how to fly.
    There is a way and I took that way. It is worse than any of your resolves here you have training available for many of the planes you would build.
    I not only chose to build before learning. I chose to build from scratch and design my own.
    Now I am stuck being the test pilot and no training .How is this you say, THE U/L needs no certificate
    I am scared! I am concerned ! I wish I took training before I built! I had money problems so I told myself why pay for training if you haven't anything to fly. Because you should that's all and for me mostly back when I began, it was available now its not.
    I will fly it and its a seaplane. I bit off more than I can chew. I hope I live through it and hurt no one doing it!!!

I do have the help of a CFI but its at a distance. I am very thankful for even that.
    Last edited by Norman Langlois; 01-22-2012 at 12:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    I don't really remember which came first, ordering the kit or taking my first lesson but they all happened in the scope of about a week. I learned to fly as I was building which took almost exactly 2 years. I got checked out in a 65HP J-3 and with about 85 hours in my Log Book I test flew my Sonerai. The experience was great.Name:  1.jpg
Views: 2045
Size:  20.0 KB
    Off subject, but I may have some photos of that airplane. I remember seeing it at a fly-in, a N. Louisiana airport sometime during the '80's. Perhaps one of the famed "Louisiana Championship Fly-in Series" lol. First 2L Sonerai I had ever seen in person and I later had a 2L project in progress for a while.