Thread: Too Late to Ask for Permission to Sell a "Cellphone Kite Ride" Service?

Goggles Too Late to Ask for Permission to Sell a "Cellphone Kite Ride" Service?

Hello! I had an idea for a cool service I could offer passers-by at AirVenture this year: Cellphone Kite Rides. I rig up a kite with a secure pouch, then for $1, customers turn on their cellphone movie camera and put it in the pouch. Then I run the kite up a couple of hundred feet for a cool video of the surrounding area. I hold the kite steady for 30 seconds or so aloft, and then wind it down. The customer leaves with a great short little video they can share, edit, or even sell for all I care. I'm sure I'd need permission from the EAA folks to do this--you suppose it's too late to ask?
    Wayne Bartlett
    Retired Military
    Local Pilot
    Banjo Player
    High School English Teacher
    Twenty Minutes to Deadline blog author
    www.facebook.com/20MtD
    www.myairventureadventure.blogspot.com

I see a few problems. Kites just don't jump into the air. You would be better to use a multi rotor pod type helicopter that everyone and their brother are using. A cell phone fits right on them. You can get these cheap from a place called HobbyKing.com or most hobby shops.
    I know nothing of how they run Osh but I would put money on it that you need to contact the people to be a long time before the event to do something like this. Plus why not just have one of the helicopters giving rides to everyone do this. Mount cell phones on the skids, one could mount a lot of cell phones on the skids of one of them.

You're probably right. Well, the wind ever starts up again here in central Alabama, I'll try the kite, and if I can get it to be stable and whatnot, I'll bring it along to Oshkosh, but--just to take my own video. Look for me doing this if you're out and about!
    Wayne Bartlett
    Retired Military
    Local Pilot
    Banjo Player
    High School English Teacher
    Twenty Minutes to Deadline blog author
    www.facebook.com/20MtD
    www.myairventureadventure.blogspot.com

I don't think so. Even a few years ago they were grounding small electric radio control airplanes in Camp Scholler because they're a safety risk and aerial obstruction.