Thread: Few quick questions (camped last year, considering staying elsewhere this year)

Goggles Few quick questions (camped last year, considering staying elsewhere this year)

If I were to stay elsewhere and drive in each day...

a) Is 6:30 or 6:45 a.m. early enough to not have to worry about traffic or parking problems?
    b) Can I still bike into Camp Scholler to visit folks?
    c) Can I still access Theater in the Woods?
    d) Can I conveniently return to my vehicle each day for lunch or dinner?

I'm in my last year of college and finances are tight, so I'm thinking about staying with nearby relatives to save eighty bucks. Also since I am a photographer I will be most focused on full days spent on Airventure grounds and as early a start as possible. And quite frankly I am not too concerned about missing the Camp Scholler experience since I was out at 6:30 each morning and not back until 10:30 at night. Staying elsewhere will allow me to rest better, have more convenient access to power each night to dump photos, cook and eat a healthy breakfast, prepare a cold cooler each day and probably pack a meal or snacks in there.

Input, opinions much appreciated. Thanks so much!

Gates open at 7am and traffic is pretty light into the lots at that time, doesn't pick up until after 8. I see no reason why you wouldn't be able to get into Camp Scholler or Theater in the Woods if you have a paid admission. I return to the car all the time for lunch, but if you are leaving the grounds you will have to contend with traffic coming back in. If you are eating out of your car, you have no issues at all, and coming early you will be parked close to the main gate.

It's been awhile since I've park in the general lots. I used to show up around 7:45-8:00 and the queues weren't bad. No problems with a, b, c, or d.
    --
    Bob Leffler
    RV-10 Flying
    www.mykitlog.com/rleffler

I'm not 100% sure if you will be able to ride your bike into Scholler. I seem to remember getting some sort of sticker that had to be affixed to your bike when checking in. Hopefully someone from EAA will chime in here and give you the scoop.

Keith

You can ride your bike in Scholler. You can't ride your bike on Airventure grounds. With that said, there are plenty or roadways from general parking to Scholler.
    --
    Bob Leffler
    RV-10 Flying
    www.mykitlog.com/rleffler

Is there a special place for motorcycles and scooters? I haven't been in about 15 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Warner View Post
    Is there a special place for motorcycles and scooters? I haven't been in about 15 years.

There's a bike "parking lot" right by the entrance gates.

Most mornings I drive in around 8:30and rarely have to wait long in line, a few minutes at most. It might be more crowded that last Sat, so then you might want to be there at 7:30
    Leaving can be a lot of traffic sometimes.

EAA people tend to be friendlier, more polite, and patient compared to, for instance a big crowd leaving a pro football game.
    Less drunks, not too many gunshots or even bottles thrown.

Maybe we are just to old to be so rowdy.
    Last edited by Bill Greenwood; 07-19-2013 at 09:42 AM.

Thanks so much everyone for the input!