Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: They can't help themselves

They can't help themselves

Oshkosh used to be about us little guys going and feeling like we were kind of on equal terms with the guys with the big expensive iron.
    When did that change?
    Now it's all about bidding on this or that perk.
    "See I've got more money than you."
    I was at Reno last year and that was very obvious. I didn't make any new friends there.
    For the kid in the RV hanger who admonished me not to touch the airplane, let me turn up the volume for you.
    Last edited by Zack Baughman; 07-17-2013 at 01:17 PM. Reason: Vulgar language

Anyone and everyone has always been welcome at Oshkosh, regardless of the size of your pocketbook. That has never changed. As for the remark on bidding, I'm making an assumption (always a dangerous thing to do) that you are referring to the Gathering of Eagles silent auction: http://www.airventure.org/attraction...ng_online.html ???

This and other fund-raising efforts have nothing to do with showing off how much money one has, but rather helping out the organization in our mission to grow participation in aviation. We do this through the many adult and youth educational programs that we offer. These programs are not free to operate. Staffing, materials, marketing, etc. all add up.

Some people choose to donate their time and volunteer to help out, while others choose to donate through their pocketbook. There are usually perks involved with volunteering one's time - the same can be said for making a monetary donation, either through silent auctions, the live auction during the Gathering of Eagles, the various raffles, etc. Where you might see it as offensive to the "little guy", others see it as a way to help out the organization.

Zack

Reminds me of the old joke about Soviet-era Russia. US guy was going to travel by Aeroflot, and asked about first-class seats.

"This is the Soviet Union," replied the ticketing agent. "There are no classes. It is only in the West where such inequities exist."

"Well," replied the US traveler, "How do I get one of the nicer seats up front?"

The reply: "You pay more."

Ron Wanttaja

Here's an idea: If you have a complaint, articulate that complaint clearly. "It's not about the little guy any more" is not a complaint, it's a vague sentence that gives someone like me (who has no dog in the fight whatsoever) to figure out what the heck we're talking about.

Ray, I've only been coming to Oshkosh since 2005, yet I've never experienced what you describe. To be certain, I've met my share of millionaires while doing just about anything & everything on the grounds, and I've never met anyone who was exuding the "hey lookit me!!!" aura. I've had guys in golfcarts ask me if I needed a lift during the heat of the afternoon (I'm only 59 - I didn't think I looked *that* feeble....!) and when I found out who they were, I was genuinely impressed - not with their accomplishments, but just because they were one of us. Same thing in the concessions areas - you know how crowded they are. I've met and dined with just about the full spectrum of Oshkosh attendees, and have never been disappointed. Now, as I mentioned, these were all folks who were out and about, being involved. I'm sure there are SOME who only leave the hotel for special purposes, but they don't get in the way of MY enjoyment. And I certainly appreciate it if they're a big donor; it helps us all. Oh, and I volunteer and donate. No way near as much as some do, but I enjoy being able to give back what I can.

Carl Orton
    Sonex #1170 / Zenith 750 Cruzer
    http://mykitlog.com/corton

I've never been one who is impressed with a fancy set of wheels or 'accessories'. I don't mind a bit of the guy next door shows up with any of it. Many that do have 'stuff' aren't necessarily trying to show off, just things they like & can afford. I've known plenty who could buy about anything & were still more genuine than most. It's all with the individual.

One of my more funny stories is years ago driving an old hand-me-down car up 'North', dog in the backseat, wife along too. While at a roadside fruit stand the guys asked if we wanted to come pick pumpkins for a little $$? I said, not a bad idea, but we had to keep moving.

Not sure which Oshkosh you've been to, but I've never ever met anyone trying to show off how much money he or she has. One time, I happened to spot Harrison Ford walking around (trying to be incognito!) looking at homebuilts! He's a zillionaire and just one of us at Oshkosh. I'm very thankful for the rich guys that bid on stuff. Oshkosh and EAA's other programs that we all enjoy just might not be possible if it weren't for the rich guys. I just hope I'm one of them someday
    Mark

2003 RANS S-10
    2011 RANS S-6S
    Zenith Cruzer

www.aircraftstickers.com Very cool aircraft stickers. Vans, RANS, Kitfox...more!

In a house with my laptop.....somewhere in Collierville, TN
    I love getting to see the warbirds fly and am happy folks being them out for others to see. I enjoy seeing the Extras and such fly some incredible demos. I enjoyed seeing the Ju-52 demo flights last year and was truly impressed.

At the same time, I had lots of folks stop to talk to me about my Cub which had 20 hours since restoration. It was parked next to my brother's Cub (in which we both learned to fly in the 70s). No one ever came across like my Cub or I shouldn't have been there. Several thought it was pretty neat two brothers had flown two Cubs over 500 miles together to be part of the event. Heck, we even got plaques, ball caps and a mug just for flying in. I felt pretty special.

Sure there is some high dollar stuff there and sometimes that stuff does seem pushed to the forefront, there really is something for everyone at Oshkosh.

JimR
    Jim Rice
    Wolf River Airport (54M)
    Collierville, TN

N4WJ 1994 Van's RV-4 (Flying)
    N3368K 1946 Globe GC-1B Swift (Flying)--For Sale
    N7155H 1946 Piper J-3C Cub (Flying)

I can't help myself!

The mere sight of rich people walking around enjoying privileges that I don't have encourages me to get off my recliner and earn the little green portraits of Ben Franklin so I can walk around with the same privileges as the best of 'em.
    *** Life is Lead Points and Habit Patterns ***

Quote Originally Posted by WingsAloft View Post
    The mere sight of rich people walking around enjoying privileges that I don't have encourages me to get off my recliner and earn the little green portraits of Ben Franklin so I can walk around with the same privileges as the best of 'em.
    That recliner can be pretty comfortable. Lots of people seem to be happy to sit in the recliner watching rich people on the TV while eating Cheetos & pork rinds.