Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Honoring VETS ?

If you really want to honor the Nam vets don't take any half way measures. Get each and every one, custom fitted to their current size, a nice bright colored polyester suit, complete with flare pants legs like Tony used to wear.
    Last edited by Bill Greenwood; 05-16-2014 at 06:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Greenwood View Post
    If you really want to honor the Nam vets don't take any half way measures. Get each and every one, custom fitted to their current size, a nice bright colored polyester suit, complete with flare pants legs like Tony used to wear.
    But...but...then I won't stand out when I wear mine! :-)

There's no "secret" to what the song is about; it's right in the lyrics ("I'm really still in prison, and my love she holds the key..."). The song, and the yellow-ribbon tradition, has been embraced by a lot of veterans and their families. Most folks only know the chorus, anyway....

Ron Wanttaja

Quote Originally Posted by rwanttaja View Post
    Most folks only know the chorus, anyway....Ron Wanttaja
    how true. and they don't know all the verses of the USA national anthem, either. oh well. serenity to accept the things i cannot change, please, double helping. p.s. yes i knew about yellow ribbons and the cavalry, that's why i mentioned the John Wayne movie.

www.imdb.com/title/tt0041866/
    Last edited by Mike M; 05-16-2014 at 06:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Greenwood View Post
    I wonder how many vets really know the history of that song that they think is about coming home from Nam. It is not about the Vietnam War and not even about any soldiers. I was curious and looked it up on google, etc. And according to the man who wrote the song, it is actually about a criminal who has been in prison and is coming home after finishing his sentence and not knowing how he will be welcomed thus the yellow ribbon to show he is welcome. And the song doesn't say anything about fighting or Vietnam. I Finished school back then, in 1968 and was in the service, but I am glad that I never went to Vietnam. Of all the wars we have had as a country, it seems like the worst with perhaps the exception of the Civil War, and of all the Presidents that we had Nixon was surely one of the worst. I am glad that neither I nor my sons ever did any dying or killing for Nixon, but a lot of other people's kids did.
    Let's not forget Kennedy started that war and Lyndon Johnson greatly expanded that war and Nixon was left to pick up the peices.

Quote Originally Posted by cdrmuetzel@juno.com View Post
    how true. and they don't know all the verses of the USA national anthem,\
    I'd settle for them standing and shutting up during the Anthem. I can see the pain on those in uniform who snap to attention and salute only to hear some bimbo continue to chatter away on her cellphone throughout the anthem.

Or some country western or rock star singing our National Anthem and feeling they have to 'put their mark on it' while singing off key and murdering the tune. If you notice the military groups never do that and besides whatever happened to everyone standing with their hand over their hearts and singing along with the band? It was Bob Hoover that told a couple of young girls to get up and show respect their country while the National Anthem was being played.
    If God had intended man to fly He would have given us more money!

For
    rMike Beg. re putting your hand over your heart. I don't recall anyone ever doing it until recently . growng up, people stood for the National Antheum, but putting ones hand over heart was only for the Pledge of Allegance which we rarely hear nowadays.

Bill, you may be correct although I notice many of the NASCAR drivers do so (which may be recent). Having said that, I'll go with Bob Hoover's statement and I still dislike those who mutilate our National Anthem. I may be biased as I used to sing it (in my younger days) for many athletic events and also at my air force reunion in Michigan several years ago.
    If God had intended man to fly He would have given us more money!

36 USC 301
    a) Designation.— The composition consisting of the words and music known as the Star-Spangled Banner is the national anthem.
    (b) Conduct During Playing.— During a rendition of the national anthem—(1) when the flag is displayed—(A) individuals in uniform should give the military salute at the first note of the anthem and maintain that position until the last note;
    (B) members of the Armed Forces and veterans who are present but not in uniform may render the military salute in the manner provided for individuals in uniform; and
    (C) all other persons present should face the flag and stand at attention with their right hand over the heart, and men not in uniform, if applicable, should remove their headdress with their right hand and hold it at the left shoulder, the hand being over the heart; and

(2) when the flag is not displayed, all present should face toward the music and act in the same manner they would if the flag were displayed.

Big Grin

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingRon View Post
    36 USC 301
    a) Designation.— The composition consisting of the words and music known as the Star-Spangled Banner is the national anthem.
    (b) Conduct During Playing.— During a rendition of the national anthem—(1) when the flag is displayed—(A) individuals in uniform should give the military salute at the first note of the anthem and maintain that position until the last note;
    (B) members of the Armed Forces and veterans who are present but not in uniform may render the military salute in the manner provided for individuals in uniform; and
    (C) all other persons present should face the flag and stand at attention with their right hand over the heart, and men not in uniform, if applicable, should remove their headdress with their right hand and hold it at the left shoulder, the hand being over the heart; and

(2) when the flag is not displayed, all present should face toward the music and act in the same manner they would if the flag were displayed.

The groups I belong to all do it!