Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dinner outside the grounds

And for a great custard dessert don't forget Leon's!
    Glenn Brasch
    KRYN Tucson, Arizona
    2013 RV-9A
    Medevac helicopter pilot (Ret)
    EAA member since 1980
    Owner, "Airport Courtesy Cars" website.
    www.airportcourtesycars.com
    Volunteer Mentor www.SoAZTeenAviation.org

Kodiak Jacks 10 minutes to the north ( north of walmart)
    prime rib and salad bar--always good !!

Lots of great replies so far. Thanks.

The person I am traveling with is a vegetarian. Any suggestions for places that have things other than a salad on then menu for them?

Keith

EAA Staff / Moderator Hal Bryan's Avatar
    Off the cuff, I'd guess that, of the suggestions so far, Becket's would probably have the most vegetarian choices.

Here's a link to their menu:
    http://becketsrestaurant.com/beckets_menu.pdf

Hal Bryan
    EAA Lifetime 638979
    Vintage 714005 | Warbirds 553527
    Managing Editor
    EAA—The Spirit of Aviation

I'll second the Ardy and Ed's recommendation. It's off the east end of 9/27 so you can get your aviation fix while eating. The train tracks are just across the street and I once saw a train stop long enough for a crew member to run across the street and pick up their order!

If you're up in Neenah and wanting sandwiches or deli fare, Zuppa's has a wide selection. You can eat there or get stuff to go. They're open for breakfast, too. Cannova's downtown has good Italian food and live music some nights.

If you want good steaks, Lombardi's Steakhouse in downtown Appleton is worth a visit. The steaks are excellent and so are the sides, and the portions are huge. IMHO their desserts aren't that great, but you'll probably be so full you won't be able to eat them anyway. Great collection of Lombardi-era Packer artifacts, you could spend most of the evening looking at the things hanging on the walls.

You folks are missing the best value in food

- The best vlue in Brats is at CharPit.
    - The best value in Pizza is West End.
    - The best value in a sandwich is Frier's.

All above are accessible via yellow EAA bus.

I just remembered Ratch and Deb's in town, local pub that has the best pizza, and Green Bay Packers stuff from floor to ceiling....
    Glenn Brasch
    KRYN Tucson, Arizona
    2013 RV-9A
    Medevac helicopter pilot (Ret)
    EAA member since 1980
    Owner, "Airport Courtesy Cars" website.
    www.airportcourtesycars.com
    Volunteer Mentor www.SoAZTeenAviation.org

EAA Staff / Moderator Charlie Becker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kmacht View Post
    Lots of great replies so far. Thanks.

The person I am traveling with is a vegetarian. Any suggestions for places that have things other than a salad on then menu for them?

Keith
    I have two favorites that will work for a vegetarian and both are in Neenah. No more than 30 minutes from EAA. Bao Ju is my favorite restaurant period. http://baojuneenah.com/ Excellent Chinese food. Open every day but Thanksgiving! Never a wait but no Spotted Cow beer. The other is italian. Cannova's http://cannovaspizzeria.com/ almost always has a wait on the weekends. Worth it with an excellent beer selection.

The good news for your traveling companion is there is going to be a lot more food variety on the grounds this year.
    Charlie
    Sonex flight testing complete. Building a Super Cub clone, check it out at www.facebook.com/piratecub

I've been known to slip over to Friar Tucks on the EAA bus. Sandwich, fries and a cold adult beverage
    If God had intended man to fly He would have given us more money!

Sorry, guys, I don't mean to blaspheme here, but I really don't care for Friar Tuck's. The food is good, and you *are* surrounded by your fellow aviators, but it's just so bloody crowded because it *is* just one of a handful of places within easy walking distance to the field. I've eaten more meals there standing up than any other place. In the evenings, our group likes to hit the different places where we can sit and have good recap conversation about our respective days. Of course, my wife always attends with me, so she's less likely to go for a bar atmosphere, so that probably factors in.

Carl Orton
    Sonex #1170 / Zenith 750 Cruzer
    http://mykitlog.com/corton