Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dinner outside the grounds

Dinner outside the grounds

How about some recomendations for good places to eat dinner outside of airventure. I'm not looking for the standard stuff like Chili's or Pizza Hut. I'm more interested in the locally owned non chain resteraunts that you can't eat at anywhere else. I have a car for the week so anything within about a 1/2 hour driving distance is fair game.

Keith

Wendts On the Lake is on the south side of lake Winnebago. Great fried perch. Great spotted cow. The seaplane base is about midway between it and the show.
    Fratellos on the Fox River. Varied menu. Great spotted cow. A bit northwest of the dorms.
    The Roxy. Downtown Oshkosh. Great spotted cow. Varied menu.
    Kodiak Jacks on 41 just north of the show. Great spotted cow. Seafood and steaks.
    Ardy and Eds drive in next to the shore of Winnebago. Roller skating carhops. Standard burger joint fare.

We hit most of these places each year, but scheduling can be an issue with dinners and ceremonies on the field.

Carl Orton
    Sonex #1170 / Zenith 750 Cruzer
    http://mykitlog.com/corton

EAA Staff / Moderator Hal Bryan's Avatar
    I can recommend TJ's Harbor Restaurant which is also on the water, not far from Wendt's. They opened just before AirVenture last year, if I remember right. The Dockside Tavern on the south side of the river from downtown Oshkosh is quite good, as is Becket's just on the other side of the river. Primo is maybe a little bit off-the-beaten path on the north side of Oshkosh, less than 15 minutes from the grounds, and an excellent choice if you need to decompress over a bottle of wine and a steak or two.

And Carl, I believe they all have Spotted Cow.

Before I moved here, we had three traditional off-grounds spots that we'd try to hit, if not every year, then close to it. Fratello's, as Carl mentioned, and then, further afield, Shepard's Drive-In in Berlin, WI, about 25 minutes west and Lombardi's Steakhouse in Appleton, about a half hour to the north.

Note: these recommendations are mine personally and may not reflect the stuff and the things of EAA, etc.

Hal Bryan
    EAA Lifetime 638979
    Vintage 714005 | Warbirds 553527
    Managing Editor
    EAA—The Spirit of Aviation

I guess I need to explain the Spotted Cow references in my post above. My wife and I don't drink much. Not against it, we just don't need it every single day. We'll have the occasional margarita with Tex-Mex, and a cold beer every now and then always goes down well. But in Oshkosh, my wife has to have her Spotted Cow every single night, plus we usually export some back to TX when we drive up. OK, I enjoy it too. ;-) Dunno what it is about the Spotted Cow, but I believe that the brewery must work triple-time in July in order to supply the Oshkosh crowd, cuz EVERYONE who imbibes goes for it during Convention.

Carl Orton
    Sonex #1170 / Zenith 750 Cruzer
    http://mykitlog.com/corton

What, no mention of Friar Tuck's yet? Given its proximity to the North 40, I expect we'll eat there at least a couple times over our Oshkosh stay.

I'll second all the above mentioned...especially TJ's...I can offer one more suggestion, but it is right at your 1/2 limit. Up in Hortonville, there is a supper club called The Black Otter. The best, and biggest, prime rib you'll come across. The smallest cut is 32 ounces...
    Chad Jensen
    EAA #755575

EAA Staff / Moderator Hal Bryan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chad Jensen View Post
    Up in Hortonville, there is a supper club called The Black Otter. The best, and biggest, prime rib you'll come across. The smallest cut is 32 ounces...
    Why am I just now learning about this?!?!

Hal Bryan
    EAA Lifetime 638979
    Vintage 714005 | Warbirds 553527
    Managing Editor
    EAA—The Spirit of Aviation

Quote Originally Posted by Hal Bryan View Post
    Why am I just now learning about this?!?!
    REALLY??? OMG. We must go there. Now.
    Chad Jensen
    EAA #755575

Banned
    If you're in the Green Bay area, Zhou's Mongolian BBQ. Fantastic, fresh, healthy and the great variety of ingredients. You choose the ingredients and watch it all made before your eyes...a fun show.

Up in Hortonville, there is a supper club called The Black Otter. The best, and biggest, prime rib you'll come across. The smallest cut is 32 ounces...
    And their biggest prime rib is 160 oz, called the Extreme Cut. It's HUGE (I was there one night when someone ordered it). You can see it on their website.

They do have excellent steaks and seafood, and a really nice salad bar.

CJD