View Poll Results: As a fixed-wing pilot, I would be most interested in a gyroplane with these features:

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • Open cockpit

3 23.08%
  • Enclosed cockpit

9 69.23%
  • Side-by-side seating

8 61.54%
  • Tandem seating

3 23.08%
  • Pusher engine

5 38.46%
  • Tractor engine

5 38.46%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: Turning fixed-wing pilots on to the new generation of gyroplanes

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Turning fixed-wing pilots on to the new generation of gyroplanes

As I mentioned in another thread, Affordable modern gyroplanes?, I have recenlty been exposed to some of the new generation of gyroplanes coming out of Europe and I am very impressed. These are not the Rube Goldberg contraptions of the Bensen Gyrocopter days but comfortable, stable, maneuverable, sophisticated flying machines.

Unfortunately, they are also quite expensive, factory-built aircraft. Since the FAA is not currently allowing S-LSA gyroplanes, the few kits that are available are essentially factory built machines that have been partially disassembled to meet U.S. rules--so the kits don't really save any money. What's needed is a modern gyroplane in a real kit, something approaching the economics of the Sonex, for example, so about $35,000-50,000 for a complete, finished, flying aircraft with instruments, radio and GPS.

So, my question to this group is...if you were to consider building a gyroplane, what characteristics would be most appealing to you? For the sake of argument, I am going to assume a two-seater with a 100 hp Rotax 912ULS as the standard model (other engine options, more or less powerful and more or less expensive could come later). Please respond to the poll (pick three answers) and add your other thoughts to this thread. I've included a selection of photos for inspiration.

Cheers,

Matthew
    Attached Images Attached Images          
    Last edited by cluttonfred; 07-11-2013 at 04:21 AM.
    Matthew Long, Editor
    cluttonfred.info
    A site for builders, owners and fans of Eric Clutton's FRED
    and other safe, simple, affordable homebuilt aircraft