Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Scottish Aviation Bulldog

Hi Steve
    I soloed in your bulldog XX708 13th April 1978 ! Great to see it is still flying in sunny Florida. I flew it with Southampton University air Squadron then based at Hamble near Southampton. I am occasionally in Florida and would love to be reunited one day!
    Great photo, Tim

Hello all: I have just bought an ex RAF Bulldog -- N640RH, serial 120/310. I need a towbar, preferably one that folds. I have tried to join the forums at SABulldog, but always get a "registration unavailable" message. Emails go unanswered. Is Sherrill Greene out of business? Where can I get a suitable towbar?

Good Morning Brendan,

Welcome to the Bulldog community. They are terrific planes and I'm sure you'll have a great time with yours. Sherrill is still around, you may want to try reaching him via his Facebook page. Regarding a tow bar, I use a collapsible model for Cessna's similar to this unit from Aircraft Spruce: http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalo...d_towbars4.php

FYI, in case you don't have the background on your Bulldog, she was built in 1974 and achieved first flight on 28 OCT 1974. She was delivered to the RAF on 04 NOV 1974 as XX640. She remained in service until DEC 2000 at which time she was removed from service and transferred to RAF Shawbury for storage and disposal.

Have a great time with the airplane,
    Steve

Thank you, Steve. I certainly intend to have fun with my new toy! Thanks too for the towbar info -- I ordered one from Spruce. And thanks for the background info on XX640. I got a lot of RAF maintenance paperwork with the airplane, but all I could decipher was that the plane spent some of its service life at RAF Church-Fenton.

Hello,
    I am looking at purchasing a Bulldog, I live in CO and wonder how well it performs at the high altitude airports (looking at basing it at KBJC). Any “gotchas” that I should look for during the pre-buy inspection and any issues with ownership (parts or Maint)? Anyone that is a CFI with Bulldog experience in the Denver area? Also what is the difference between a model 100 and a model 120? Any help would be appreciated!
    Thanks,
    Dan
    Last edited by dbegeman; 01-26-2018 at 04:53 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by dbegeman View Post
    Hello,
    I am looking at purchasing a Bulldog, I live in CO and wonder how well it performs at the high altitude airports (looking at basing it at KBJC). Any “gotchas” that I should look for during the pre-buy inspection and any issues with ownership (parts or Maint)? Anyone that is a CFI with Bulldog experience in the Denver area? Also what is the difference between a model 100 and a model 120? Any help would be appreciated!
    Thanks,
    Dan
    Strongly suggest you read post #10 here. Everything you ever want to know could possibly be answered by this poster.

Quote Originally Posted by Floatsflyer View Post
    Strongly suggest you read post #10 here. Everything you ever want to know could possibly be answered by this poster.
    I did read that post and I have looked at the bulldog forum (and it won't allow anyone to sign up to ask questions) and I have tried emailing the poster in post #10 and his email is no longer valid. I know this is an old thread just trying to get some info.

I'm new to Experimental and to Exhibition. I'm thinking of purchasing a Scottish Aviation Bulldog but I'm concerned about Program Letter restrictions. Mission objective is attend a few Fly In's, do some recreational low key aerobatics (loops, cubans, etc), carry friends for sightseeing and aerobatics. I've read FAA Order 8130.2 but need wisdom. Should the Program Letter specify the requirements for carrying passengers e.g. to exhibit aircraft performance including aerobatics ... or ... since it does not appear to be prohibited (except in association with flight tests) is it best left unmentioned because it is NOT prohibited? What do y'all do out there regarding pax and aerobatics and the Program Letter? Can I complete a Program Letter with my FSDO prior to purchase to ensure they won't lay down draconian requirements before I have parted with money buying the aircraft? Any help welcome.