Thread: AirVenture Aviation Film Festival?

AirVenture Aviation Film Festival?

I've heard some grumbling about the movies on movie night (not enough aviation) and had an idea. Why not have one night be the "AirVenture Aviation Film Festival"? There are certainly enough high quality videos and videographers out there now that there truly could be some interesting and creative aviation short films. For example, my entry would be: There would be a fee to enter, and submission guidelines like length, topics, etc. A real film festival. Topics could be build projects, flying adventures, inflight videos, biographies, etc. and each year (like other film festivals) there would be a mix of topics.

Note to AirVenture folks: There is already a system and infrastructure in place to manage this. imdb.com runs "withoutabox.com" which handles the submission guidelines, submission, fee payment, etc. for many film festivals. I think all you have to do is have a judging panel to watch them online and then show the winners on Film Festival night.

Just an idea...

EAA Staff / Moderator Hal Bryan's Avatar
    This is a really interesting idea...! A good friend of mine runs the Reel Stuff Film Festival of Aviation out of Dayton, OH, and he and I have talked about similar possibilities as well. I'm glad to know that there's interest out there!

(By the way, Ney - loved your swivel video of Friday Harbor: great tech, and a a nice look at my old stompin' grounds!)

Hal Bryan
    EAA Lifetime 638979
    Vintage 714005 | Warbirds 553527
    Managing Editor
    EAA—The Spirit of Aviation

Quote Originally Posted by Hal Bryan View Post
    This is a really interesting idea...! A good friend of mine runs the Reel Stuff Film Festival of Aviation out of Dayton, OH, and he and I have talked about similar possibilities as well. I'm glad to know that there's interest out there!

(By the way, Ney - loved your swivel video of Friday Harbor: great tech, and a a nice look at my old stompin' grounds!)
    Thank you, Hal, for the comments.

I didn't know there was an aviation film festival, but in looking around I've discovered there are a LOT of film festivals around. I had no idea. In any case I believe AirVenture, just by virture of being AirVenture, could attract some good stuff. If it goes anywhere I would be interested in helping out.

Since it was my idea, do I get to be the winner the first year?

- Ney

EAA Staff / Moderator Hal Bryan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ney View Post
    Since it was my idea, do I get to be the winner the first year?

- Ney
    You got my vote... it's up to you to decide whether or not that makes you a winner!

Hal Bryan
    EAA Lifetime 638979
    Vintage 714005 | Warbirds 553527
    Managing Editor
    EAA—The Spirit of Aviation