Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Those attending (flying in to) EAA AirVenture this year

Those attending (flying in to) EAA AirVenture this year

First off, looking forward as usual to the show and walking the grounds as I do every year. Hope to see some of you out there.
    Secondly, I am a local photographer from Green Bay and my niece has just enlisted in the Air Force. She is still in high school (Senior this upcoming year), and of course with that means Senior Pictures. I will be doing her photos this summer and thought how unique it would be, especially after enlisting in the Air Force to try and get some air to air shots of her in a beautiful biplane. This of course would require me going up in a separate aircraft as well.

I would absolutely love to be able to do this for her if I could get it arranged while many of you may be in Oshkosh. My schedule would be completely flexible the entire duration of AirVenture so any time of day or day of the week and we would make it work. We wouldn't be looking for a long flight. Maybe 20 minutes of air time. Just enough to get up in the air capture some nice photos at different angles. I would, of course, be willing to pay for this opportunity, so if there are any of you there that would be willing to help out and make a little money on the side, please let me know. Or perhaps could point me in the direction of someone you may know that would be fantastic.

I posted this over at biplaneforum.com and a very helpful user named freerangequark (Glenn from Illinois) advised to post over here as well. He has been very helpful and offered to help by taking my niece up so so I am hoping that I can find one more person that can help make this happen and would be willing to take me up to capture the photos. Probably a little odd for a first post on here, but just trying to reach out to people that might be able to help. I've been going to AirVenture for the better part of 25 years now so it's always a joy to see new things every year. Thanks again in advance for any help.

It seems like it would be easier to work it out at a time separate from Airventure, since getting in & out involves a potential lengthy process. Then you have the option of nice pictures taken in the plane of choice while it's parked on the ground. It would be much easier to make her more the subject.

Not to dampen your plans, just some thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Delene View Post
    It seems like it would be easier to work it out at a time separate from Airventure, since getting in & out involves a potential lengthy process. Then you have the option of nice pictures taken in the plane of choice while it's parked on the ground. It would be much easier to make her more the subject.

Not to dampen your plans, just some thoughts.

I would be ok with that as well. I don't have connections at this point to try to set something like that up outside of the airshow which has so many people in the area. I know many don't stay for the duration, they come from a long ways away and aren't available in close proximity to shoot any other time than during the time span of the show. That though is part of the reason I would be available at any time of day any day of the week to hopefully minimize as much "hassle" as possible as not to put any of the pilots out of any more time than necessary. These photos wouldn't be the only ones she'd have, they'd just be ones that would add some uniqueness to her senior photos. Appreciate the feedback. This is indeed new to me so any comments are welcome.

EAA has a number of beautiful biplanes in the museum & at Pioneer airport throughout the year. Why not contact Hal Bryan (the big boss guy on here - pretty scary but has been known to confer with mere mortals on occasion ) & see if you can set something up when things are a bit less hectic?

One thing about flying with Hal, does your niece really look good in brown and gold?

I don't have a biplane or open cockpit plane, but I am planning on coming in my Bonanza and will be glad to take you up if you'd like. I will base it at Fon Du Lac most likely so no problem getting in an out of Osh, and there's no need to pay anything.
    My preferred time is the early evening after the show, but can do most any morning also if that is needed. I am comfortable with formation flying as long as we brief it, and used to do quite a bit of it for photos. I used to be a photographer myself, back when cameras had film as God and Kodak intended. Only time I am not available is Wed. afternoon when I am doing a forum or Thur am when I am attending one.

Good luck to your niece.
    And by the way, if by any chance she is going to basic training at Lackland, see if she can go in spring or fall, Not in the summer when San Antonio gets HOT. I went in spring and if you don't mind fools screaming at you and little or no sleep it is servivable. You can do most anything for a month or so.

And if I can't help you I can introduce you to some pilots who probably can. And I would also suggest getting a number of shots on the ground in case the airborne ones don't work out. I can help you with that again, but really you can walk up to most any owner of a nice plane and ask politely if you might get a photo of her sitting in the cockpit. Most will say yes. Just ask when they are not so busy, don't wait till they are getting fuel or on their way to a pilot briefing.
    And I wouldn't leave my niece alone with any pilots, but the old guys at the north end are mostly harmless.
    Last edited by Bill Greenwood; 07-09-2013 at 08:50 AM.

EAA Staff / Moderator Hal Bryan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Greenwood View Post
    One thing about flying with Hal, does your niece really look good in brown and gold?
    One day, I'll be remembered as the guy who got rid of the brown and gold, Bill...Maybe at AirVenture this year we can settle this once and for all over a beer - black and tan, perhaps?

Quote Originally Posted by Janet Davidson View Post
    EAA has a number of beautiful biplanes in the museum & at Pioneer airport throughout the year. Why not contact Hal Bryan (the big boss guy on here - pretty scary but has been known to confer with mere mortals on occasion ) & see if you can set something up when things are a bit less hectic?
    Great idea, Janet, though the logistics of setting up the air-to-airs that Carpenter is looking for would make it a little more complicated. Here's a quick look at what's available:

http://www.airventuremuseum.org/flig...port/#P29_1322

(And Janet, you only use the word scary because you've heard me play the banjolele...)

Hal Bryan
    EAA Lifetime 638979
    Vintage 714005 | Warbirds 553527
    Managing Editor
    EAA—The Spirit of Aviation

Very nice gesture Bill !! Needless to say, that is what the flying community is all about. KUDOS...

Oops - I missed the "air-to-air" part. Slightly ironic.

Jim Koepnick just did some stunning shots of a friend's daughter sitting in & around another friend's beautiful Waco for her graduation photos. Unlike air-to-air shots, you can see the subject very clearly. Most air-to-air it could be quite challenging to see someone in the spare seat of a bi-plane.

Funny you should mention banjolele, Hal. I do have some lovely video tucked away, (but easily accessible) which I'm sure these fine folks would enjoy viewing.

I am, however, totally corruptible & open to any sort of bribery (so long as it appeals to me, of course), should you wish to to keep for another time. TiTW perhaps? A nice little duet again?

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Greenwood View Post

I don't have a biplane or open cockpit plane, but I am planning on coming in my Bonanza and will be glad to take you up if you'd like. I will base it at Fon Du Lac most likely so no problem getting in an out of Osh, and there's no need to pay anything.
    My preferred time is the early evening after the show, but can do most any morning also if that is needed. I am comfortable with formation flying as long as we brief it, and used to do quite a bit of it for photos. I used to be a photographer myself, back when cameras had film as God and Kodak intended. Only time I am not available is Wed. afternoon when I am doing a forum or Thur am when I am attending one.

Good luck to your niece.
    And by the way, if by any chance she is going to basic training at Lackland, see if she can go in spring or fall, Not in the summer when San Antonio gets HOT. I went in spring and if you don't mind fools screaming at you and little or no sleep it is servivable. You can do most anything for a month or so.

And if I can't help you I can introduce you to some pilots who probably can. And I would also suggest getting a number of shots on the ground in case the airborne ones don't work out. I can help you with that again, but really you can walk up to most any owner of a nice plane and ask politely if you might get a photo of her sitting in the cockpit. Most will say yes. Just ask when they are not so busy, don't wait till they are getting fuel or on their way to a pilot briefing.
    And I wouldn't leave my niece alone with any pilots, but the old guys at the north end are mostly harmless.

Wow, I can't thank you enough Bill. What a incredibly generous offer. I will talk with Glenn again and get an idea from him what would be the best time/day based on your availability and preference. She is going to be thrilled. when I first told her of the idea her exact words were "oh my God, that would be amazing" so she will love this.

I myself am a former Air Force member. Just under 8 years. I think she has planned to go in next summer and not the fall so I will remind her of that as it's good advice. I left in October for Lackland so it wasn't bad and I don't believe we had a "black flag" day at all.

Thanks again for this offer and opportunity (especially from a former photographer) I will send a PM just to establish contact info and further solidify a plan that works for all.

Joe or Bill.. Are either of you receiving my PMs? It seems like perhaps my PMs are not going out for some reason. Joe, I had sent a reply in looking to see what day and time worked best for you that would work with the other pilot. Have you received that PM? Just want to get dates and times all lined up so that I can have my niece come down from Hayward.