Thread: Who you calling old?

Who you calling old?

I subscribe to an investment service, Value Line, and their current(July8) stock pick is Harley Davidson. Now what does this have to do with planes and EAA? Well Harley is a Wis company and is a advertiser at Osh as well as lot's of pilot's like other fun machines like motorcycles,cars, boats.
    So Harley, as a discressionary spending item, like planes, was hurt by the recession after 2008, and is now beginning to come back as the economy improves.

One caution line caught my eye, like "the generation born '46 to '64 are moving beyond their prime biking years". What?
    Who you calling old? And for years, thanks to Honda, motorcycles don't have to be kick started. And motorcycles, like planes, are fun, but have big risks if not used with caution and good sense.

You're never too old to fly unless you think you are. If you have the interest you have the ability.
    Last edited by Bill Greenwood; 07-20-2013 at 09:20 AM.

I was talking to a friend of mine who visited a doctors office and the nurse started a statement "We prefer our geriatric patients...."

POW...Who you calling a geriatric patient?

Actually, I know a lot of guys that have retired and bought themselves some sort of cruising bike, be it a Harley or BMW or Moto Guzi to name a few. And a lot of these "geezers" have plenty of disposable income. Seems a strange statement, indeed.

David

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Greenwood View Post

One caution line caught my eye, like "the generation born '46 to '64 are moving beyond their prime biking years". What?
    Who you calling old? And for years, thanks to Honda, motorcycles don't have to be kick started. And motorcycles, like planes, are fun, but have big risks if not used with caution and good sense.
    I live in Fairbanks, AK. There's a number of folks who show up here every summer on large touring bikes. Judging from the average age of those people, I would have to conclude that the generation mentioned here is just moving INTO , not beyond their prime biking years.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Greenwood View Post
    I subscribe to an investment service, Value Line, and their current(July8) stock pick is Harley Davidson....One caution line caught my eye, like "the generation born '46 to '64 are moving beyond their prime biking years". What?
    Bill, I would strongly advise you to cancel that subscription immediately and choose another that will provide more accurate and informative analysis. We all know that investment prognosticating is a dubious business at best but when done properly, takes into account a myriad of current facts and figures and trends as well as social demographic information. Here's why that writer is so out to lunch and the underlying reason why David and Louis's comments above are spot on:

There's a tsunami of wealth coming and the Baby Boomer generation('46-'64), now called Zoomers, stand to literally inherit the earth. According to studies completed in the last 2 years, North American Boomers (and their children) are set to inherit $12.6 Trillion(real estate, investments and cash) from their parents over the next 18 years.

$1 Trillion in Canada(and no inheritances taxes here I'll add)

$11.6 Trillion in the US

Economists say it is the largest intergenerational transfer of wealth in world history. Real Estate, stock markets, consumer spending, personal finance and the widening income gap will all be dramatically affected as this enormous wealth changes hands.

Talk about disposable income!!! Lots of bikes, boats, cars and airplanes, etc, etc, etc will be sold so Zoomers can relax and feel as youthful as ever having fun at doing what they love. Just one big caveat: this wealth does not take into account the amounts that may be required to be spent on healthcare, nursing homes and care providing for both Boomers and their parents over those same 18 years.

Gen X FTW.

('65)

Actually, we're screwed. Not promoted because the Baby Boomers are holding onto their jobs until they're past traditional retirement age, when they finally leave we're too old to get their jobs, watching it go to somebody with more "career potential" within the company. Middle management forever.

Forgive me if I don't celebrate Baby Boomers.

Plus they don't sell their airplanes; they just let them rot in hangars, paying thousands in fees, because "they can't get the price it's worth." If one is spending a thousand a year in hangar rent and taxes and don't sell it for ten years because you refuse to knock ten grand from the price you may be a Baby Boomer.
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

I'm not a "Baby Boomer" or "Zoomer" since I was born in 1943, but I will say that people in or close to retirement are generally in better shape and living longer than their grandparents were at this age. Having said that, I'd say even with all this "wealth transfer" I wouldn't count on a big boom driven by their spending. Most of them have little or no savings and many have lost homes and jobs in the last crisis. Whatever they inherit will get spent on everyday living and healthcare. Given their numbers it's clear that they will have a big impact on the economy regardless of how they spend their retirement. All through my early school years we had overcrowded classes, this drove a huge expansion in all levels of education and we reached a point where we had over 20% graduating from college, many with degrees in science and math. Housing got a huge boost in both sales volume and price as a result of "new nesters" in the 70's & 80's. That drove up interests and expanded financial services until the crash of '08. This generation will begin dying off in about 20 years and that will create a "slump" in the services industries that are todays big growth opportunities. If you want to make money over the next 20-25 years invest in drug companies, nursing homes, and coffin manufacturers.

Joe