Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Facetmobile needs to be in EAA museum

Facetmobile needs to be in EAA museum

Today at Airventure 2013, Barnaby Wainfan delivered another of his popular forum talks.
    After the forum, he was talking to a small group outside and the topic turned to his incredible Facetmobile and Barnaby related how as a young person, he became enamored with airplanes after seeing the Ed Lesher Teal in the EAA museum and eventually chose to learn under Professor Lesher in Michigan.

That story prompted me to ask Barnaby why his Facetmobile was not in the EAA museum, perhaps next to the Lesher Teal.
    He said: "it was offered, but the EAA Museum declined". Apparently, sombody determined it wasn't museum material or something.
    I disagree. The Facetmobile is perfect and absolutely appropriate for display.

I feel the EAA museum should reconsider and offer to display the Facetmobile.
    What do others think?

Hi Bill,

I'm not an expert on the Facetmobile, but it is a unique design combining a delta wing with F-117 like looks. I don't think many were built, it didn't "catch-on" with homebuilders. On the other hand, there are several one-of-kind aircraft in the museum. My guess is that given the limited amount of SQ Feet available within the complex something would have to drop-out in order to add something else. Anybody interested in this design can google Facetmobile and get a lot of information and photo's. While it is unique, it is not the only unique homebuilt design.

Joe

I'll defer to the folks running the museum. The Facetmobile is neat, I remember seeing in when it made it's first appearance at OSH. I'm sure there are a lot of other museums that would be glad to take the airplane on loan for display. Barnaby could retain ownership and one day when he retires he could take it back and tinker with it.
    Last I heard it still needed major repair?

Interesting...
    According to this site, it needs repairs, but I don't know how old that comment is.
    http://www.facetmobile.com/

One problem the EAA already has is the problem of too many donated airplanes to keep/maintain/fly. A lot of the stuff at Pioneer Airport seems to be slowly turning back into primordial goo. One more interesting but not-significant airframe to restore and maintain wouldn't help that. The Facetmobile was simply an odd looking airplane that set out to demonstrate the already proven point that faceted, pseudo lifting bodies can fly. It wasn't like it was an original idea or a better mousetrap...

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Boatright View Post
    One problem the EAA already has is the problem of too many donated airplanes to keep/maintain/fly.
    They are under no obligation to keep/maintain/fly donated airplanes. Most donated airplanes are stripped, the parts of value are sold and the remainder junked. The ones at Pioneer were kept around so kids would have something to climb on like an aviation jungle gym.

In a house with my laptop.....somewhere in Collierville, TN
    Yeah, I'd love to get my hands on Pitts N66Y and restore it rather than having it hang from the ceiling at Aircraft Spruce in Peachtree City. It sat neglected in storage for years before being cosmetically restored for a short display in the museum in recognition of Bob Herendeen.

My dad built it in 1962/3.
    Jim Rice
    Wolf River Airport (54M)
    Collierville, TN

N4WJ 1994 Van's RV-4 (Flying)
    N3368K 1946 Globe GC-1B Swift (Flying)--For Sale
    N7155H 1946 Piper J-3C Cub (Flying)

Quote Originally Posted by JimRice85 View Post
    Yeah, I'd love to get my hands on Pitts N66Y and restore it rather than having it hang from the ceiling at Aircraft Spruce in Peachtree City. It sat neglected in storage for years before being cosmetically restored for a short display in the museum in recognition of Bob Herendeen.

My dad built it in 1962/3.
    That's pretty neat.
    Have you talked to them about the history on it?

In a house with my laptop.....somewhere in Collierville, TN
    They are well aware of the history. They don't plan to use it for anything (this is why it is on loan to ACS) but they don't want to get rid of it.
    Jim Rice
    Wolf River Airport (54M)
    Collierville, TN

N4WJ 1994 Van's RV-4 (Flying)
    N3368K 1946 Globe GC-1B Swift (Flying)--For Sale
    N7155H 1946 Piper J-3C Cub (Flying)

How long has EAA had it?