Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Camp Fires

Camp Fires

What's the rules regarding campfires in Scholler? I remember last year they were banned because it was too dry so I never really looked further into it. Are they only allowed in above ground containers or can a fire ring be built? What about disposal of the ash at the end of the week? Do they have ash containers by the dumpsters? I know they don't want you to bring your own firewood in due to insects and disease so does anyone know what they charge at the camp stores for a bundle?

Keith

With all due respect, why in the world would you need a fire in Oshkosh, WI in July or August?????? Perhaps I'm feeble-minded, but I always thought fires were to warm things--seems to me it's warm enough already!

Cary
    "I have slipped the surly bonds of earth...,
    put out my hand and touched the face of God." J.G. Magee

In a house with my laptop.....somewhere in Collierville, TN
    Jim Rice
    Wolf River Airport (54M)
    Collierville, TN

N4WJ 1994 Van's RV-4 (Flying)
    N3368K 1946 Globe GC-1B Swift (Flying)--For Sale
    N7155H 1946 Piper J-3C Cub (Flying)

We, like many campers, end the day by sitting around our lit fire pit. We form a circle that usually includes anywhere from 10 to 30 people, depending on who happens by, which includes long time friends or sometimes complete strangers. We are usually around 40th and Elm. Feel free to stop by one evening and see how the campfire works.

Campfires aren't usually for keeping warm but more of a social gathering thing. You would be surprised how cool it can get at night durign that time of year. There have been a few times sitting watching a movie at the fly-in theater where I was freezing my butt off because I only wore shorts and a t-shirt.

So does anybody have the answer as to what the rules are regarding campfires in Scholler?

Keith

A wise man once said "the fire is for gazing and your friends are for warmth."

Our camping guide (http://www.airventure.org/planning/a...mpingguide.pdf) sets out some rules for fires (purchase wood locally, don't leave fires unattended, leave no trace at the end of your stay, no fires in aircraft camping). There are no specific rules in the guide regarding the conduct of fires, but please use common sense and don't burn down Camp Scholler! For additional information you can call member services and they can direct you to the folks in charge of the campground.
    Tom Charpentier
    Government Relations Director
    EAA Lifetime #1082006 | Vintage #722921

You may need fires to keep warm this year. Nightly lows right now are in the mid to low 50s and should remain that way til Monday. After that nightly lows will then be moving up into the 60s.

Dave
    EAA 499375

Sorry if I insulted anyone--I meant it as a tongue-in-cheek comment. On the other hand, if I intend to insult someone, I really can do it more clearly!

Cary
    "I have slipped the surly bonds of earth...,
    put out my hand and touched the face of God." J.G. Magee

Here is another good reason you need a campfire. See the project about "family traditions" my daughter did last year for her first grade class.
    Thankfully no drought this year, so no 'burn ban' like we had early last year. Also, a fire will be useful for heat this year some nights it appears, which I prefer over the need for A/C. Anyone know of a good place locally to get wood, other than the camp stores?

Quote Originally Posted by glider90 View Post
    Here is another good reason you need a campfire. See the project about "family traditions" my daughter did last year for her first grade class.
    Thankfully no drought this year, so no 'burn ban' like we had early last year. Also, a fire will be useful for heat this year some nights it appears, which I prefer over the need for A/C. Anyone know of a good place locally to get wood, other than the camp stores?

Take the Poberezny frontage road South down to Hwy 26. Cross over to the Western frontage road and head back North towards the city. I think that at the intersection of the frontage road and 9th Ave. there is a gas station that has economical campwood for sale. May be others along that route also. Good luck and enjoy the fire.