Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Nice Tribute For Next Year At EAA

Happy Nice Tribute For Next Year At EAA

I've been thinking, which is always a dangerous thing....
    This year the Honor Flight is comprised of Viet Nam Veterans, this appears to be the new generation that is "coming of age".
    Wouldn't it be a GREAT tribute to them and provide not only a good show, but also perhaps a good educational opportunity for those young people who aren't old enough to remember to have a "specifically" Viet Nam Veterans Day at EAA Oshkosh 2014?
    Please picture this; a Chinook helicopter with a Huey on both sides doing a formation fly-by, a Cobra, Phantom and Skyhawk jet, a Carribou, Mohawk, Bird Dog and maybe a SkyRaider.
    I believe that there are flying history museum / groups in Ohio and Georgia that do re-enactments and have a considerable amount aviation equipment available.
    So, what do you think?

Respectfully,
    Mike

Good Idea!

Good idea Mike. It would not be justice if one of the Hueys was not an air ambulance "Dustoff". 396 has been restored with 498th (AA) markings and is based at Grissom AFB in Ind.

Bob

You may like helicopters, but otherwise celebrating the Vietnam War is like the U S Army celebrating the Battle of Little Big Horn or Galveston celebrating the 1900 hurricane.

Ummm.....

Bill, my regiment in the Army was the 7th Cavalry and we DO celebrate Little Big Horn Day (called Garry Owen Day) every June 25th.

Christopher T. Mayer
    Colonel, 7th U.S. Cavalry (Retired)

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Greenwood View Post
    You may like helicopters, but otherwise celebrating the Vietnam War is like the U S Army celebrating the Battle of Little Big Horn or Galveston celebrating the 1900 hurricane.
    The only thing that I can humbly suggest is whenever a war bird flies over, you look at the ground and plug your ears. Somedays only the ugliest bird on the flight line will get the job done and get you home. I won my battles every day.

Hats off to you Col Mayer, My #2 son served with the 11th ACR.

Dustoff 100

Maybe...

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Greenwood View Post
    It's not about a celebration, but rather a "tribute". No one should like war, but everyone should honor the men and women who fight wars. No more about justification, but honor, duty and country. It happened! and anyone who does not learn from history or try to pass history along to following generations is destined to relive it. Yes, we owe all veterans, including those who fought in the Viet Nam War...

Absolutely need a Dustoff in the mix. It would be really nice if there could be a Dustoff flight, representing the equipment from different conflicts. Maybe, if we are talking next year, we might be able to convince the WIANG or ILANG to bring a UH-60 Medevac. In Iraq, the stats were that if you could keep the soldier alive until he could be loaded on the Dustoff, there was a 95% survival rate. THAT is something to be honored.

1) Sky Soldiers Demonstration Team
    Army Aviation Heritage Foundation
    Hampton, GA 30228
    2) American Huey 369 Museum
    Peru, In
    3) Collings Foundation
    F-4D

We understand that part of EAA 2013 there will be a Huey participation relative to the Medal of Honor recipient based at FonDuLac airport and giving rides....

Col. Mayer, does the army really celebrate that on June 25, the day Custer's command was wiped out?

By the way I was once at Ft. Riley, Kansas for a WWII celebration, and shortly after went to Mt. Rushmore not far from Little Big Horn.
    One thing I noticed is how far apart they are. Custer sure went a long way on horseback looking for trouble, which he found.
    Last edited by Bill Greenwood; 07-05-2013 at 01:58 PM.