Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Streaming Media/Cameras - 2013 Official Thread

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Streaming Media/Cameras - 2013 Official Thread

Its going to quickly be that time of year again, so I thought I'd start the official thread.

The Streaming Media team will be monitoring and updating this thread from now until the end of the show. Any questions, comments ect please post up here and we will do our best to address them.

Here is the plan....its pretty much the same as last year. There will be 3 roving cameras on top of the way finding towers. One overlooking the ultralights and the far end of the grounds and 18/36, one on the vintage tower covering show center and the middle area of 18/36, and one overlooking the Warbirds and covering 9/27.

We are planning on the airshow feed from the professional cameraman on the FAA tower again this year. As in years past we are sharing his time with other media outlets, so expect the same random shots and not getting to see 100% of everything in the show. Remember its one guy up there with a list of shots from dozens of people he is expected to capture, we are just along for the ride. We are working to have greater availability of the airshow stream. Last year we know we had capacity issues, steps have been taken to address that, but still have the highest quality stream, on as many platforms/devices as is practical.

Theater in the Woods. The theater lineup, as we have seen it so far is very interesting, and we again will stream all presentations that do not have copyright issues associated with doing so. We have been outfitted with a few sport cams which we have a desire to play with, so everybody might be subjected to additional random stuff before the Theater presentations start. Along those lines, if anybody has footage they wish to share through the week, let us know.

Thanks everybody,

***Updates***

All Cams online and functional. Still testing, so there may be occasional random issues...
    Last edited by Paul Hayden; 07-16-2013 at 07:39 AM.

What date does the live video start?

that is a magical and mystical answer...It depends on about 6 parts to fall into place but I would think its safe to say they will be live well in advance of the show. I think last year we were live 10 or so days before.

Thanks for all of the hard work to make this happen. I won't be attending...again...but I will someday! I really enjoy listening to ATC and watching the arrivals.

Interested in your last statement Paul, about sharing footage. I've asked around and tried for the past couple years to volunteer in a video capacity. I've got a Prosumer level video rig, full HD, and all the accompanying gear to get decent footage. I edit with the Adobe Premier suite. I shoot hours of footage all over the field each year, but really don't do anything with it other than enjoy it myself at home. My son shoots with me, so we get multiple angles and perspectives of the events and airshow acts. We've been at this video thing for years, shooting weddings, airshows, car races, and performing arts events. We're happy to share it if there's some way we can help out.

the wayfinding towers are up, so we are one step closer to live. Now I think those cement mixer trucks are having a little too much fun hauling butt down the taxi way. Sawdust, PM'd you

Hi Todd

Thanks for that. I was talking about the Wayfinding cameras - as they move between some points on some traverses, they aim at the sky rather than the ground - I noticed that last year as well as in the last couple of days. For example the Ultralight one, on its track from left to right along the ultralight runway, it just catches the tops of the trees while below the trees there's interesting stuff going on. I understand that the track is automatic, but perhaps you can program an extra stop on that traverse to lower the camera.

I appreciate what you say about the Airshow feed - I regard that as a great bonus when it does aim at the action!

As to the Pioneer Webcam, I reckon one on the Museum tracking the length of the runway and returning via the hangars would be a great addition for us poor souls who can't get there every year. Even when I have visited AirVenture, the webcams are great to check out what's going on when I'm back in the hotel/university room.

Keep up the great work - and many thanks for it!
    Last edited by RodBearden; 07-12-2013 at 02:18 PM.

Are they Oshkosh cement mixers?
    Jim Hann
    EAA 276294 Lifetime
    Vintage 722607
    1957 Piper PA-22/20 "Super Pacer"
    Chapter 32 member www.eaa32.org
    www.mykitlog.com/LinerDrivr
    Fly Baby/Hevle Classic Tandem

Hi Paul

Regarding the wayfinding tower camera tracking, can you please ensure that we have more ground coverage and less trees and sky? The trees are lovely, but when you've seen them once.... And the sky would be great if the cameras could track the flying, but as they can't, empty blueness (we hope) is pretty boring, and frustrating when we know that there's action on the ground.

By the way, a PioneerCam would be wonderful! How about that as an addition for next year?
    Last edited by RodBearden; 07-11-2013 at 06:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RodBearden View Post
    Hi Paul

Regarding the wayfinding tower camera tracking, can you please ensure that we have more ground coverage and less trees and sky? The trees are lovely, but when you've seen them once.... And the sky would be great if the cameras could track the flying, but as they can't, empty blueness (we hope) is pretty boring, and frustrating when we know that there's action on the ground.

By the way, a PioneerCam would be wonderful! How about that as an addition for next year?
    Ron,

I am assuming you are talking about the Airshow camera and not the Wayfinding Cameras as the cameras mounted on the wayfinding towers can not look up at the sky. Generally we have the wayfinding cameras running on an automated tour that stops at certain areas of activity or shows some of the general area of the airshow grounds. When the camera moves from point to point, the camera software decides how it is going to move the lens and is not something we can control.

For the Airshow Camera. We have been lucky to be able to provide this feed the last few years for those that have not been able to attend. The reason I say we are luck is we are not in charge of the camera or operator that we get this video from. He works for a different area and is given daily assignments of what items he is to capture during the day. So while he is recording the airshow, he also has to do some of his other assignments as well. Far as the camera being pointed at the sky, it can be very difficult to follow or find some planes as they are soaring or tumbling across the sky. There are times as well you will see the camera pointed at tents, trees, etc... this occurs as he is adjusting some of the balances on the camera as the conditions change. And there are times that the camera might just be parked in one position, he the only person up on the control tower operating the camera, standing out in the hot sun for hours at a time. He deserves a break once and awhile to get a drink or cool down a bit. You might not think running a camera is hard work, but when you are the only one doing it for hours at a time and standing in the hot sun, you will get tired. Without us being able to piggy back our video feed off this camera, we would not be providing this feed to you at all.

Far as the Pioneer Camera idea, I like that. We will add that to the list of possible additions in the future. We do hope to be able to provide some recorded footage of that this year from some action cameras that were added this year. What for some misc feeds during the day running on the Theater in the Woods Camera link. Remember this will be random, so check and see from time to time.

Todd Ritzman
    Media Streaming Chairman