Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How many EAA Chapters with an UL focus?

I've admitted this before, but I was one of the people really pushing for Sport Pilot/Light Sport Aircraft (SP/LSA), and I got into a fair number of arguments on-line with Chuck Slusarczyk over his belief that SP/LSA would not change things much, but would kill ultralights (ULs). I'm sad to say that Chuck was about 99% right and I was only 1% right. EAA (and I love EAA) really put their emphasis behind SP/LSA and left ULs to fade from memory. Now, we are 8+ years into SP/LSA, and while they have had some positive impact, my guess is that killing ULs has had more of a negative impact. I've seen some evidence that EAA is realizing the ULs still exist, and I'd like to see EAA ramp up their UL promotion.

I think if ultralights could be modernized a bit, it might help the image and attract more interest. Paul Poberezny advocated the transition to "proper little airplanes", I think was his words
    It might also help if the SLSA standards could be relaxed for single seat craft (for sure) and maybe the lighter (496 lb) two seaters as well.
    I recently joined ASTM to attempt to do just that.

I think a big problem are places to reliably fly from and store them. I was seriously thinking about a belite, but have since decided against.

1) I'd have to build a building at home to store it, buy a trailer for it, and trailer it 20 minutes to the airport every time I wanted to fly. The local airport won't rent hangar space to ultralights because there is such a long list / high demand for certified airplanes (currently 16 on the list, I've been told that some have been on the list for more than 2 years).

2) There was also some debate (with local pilots) as to whether it would be an issue with ultralights using the airport, since its so close to populated areas (would have to fly over a good size office complex on final from one direction and right next to a school from the other).

3) A couple pilots at the airport that I talked to said they'd raise an issue with it with the board because of them being no radio (even though a hand held could be carried).

Decided it would be too much headache and aggravation, so I never even approached the airport management (officially) about it. Buying something registered (likely a tri-pacer) instead.

But, to me that's the big thing. In order for ultralight flying to be really accessible to someone, they need to have access to a good size field / farm. At least in this area, the airports aren't too UL friendly (granted, 2 of the 3 in the area are Class D. And I wouldn't expect them to be UL friendly).

That search is bogus, there is one very active UL chapter in Arkansas near Little Rock and one in Middle Tennessee. Neither one shows up on that search, so it is far from complete.

EAA Staff / Moderator Hal Bryan's Avatar
    What are their numbers?

Hal Bryan
    EAA Lifetime 638979
    Vintage 714005 | Warbirds 553527
    Managing Editor
    EAA—The Spirit of Aviation

That search site is no good. I know there is one very active one in Arkansas near Little Rock and one in Middle Tennessee. Neither one show up on that search. There may be many more that are no on that list.

We get that you think the search doesn't work - I'm just trying figure what chapters you say are missing. Do they show up as "regular" chapters? If you can tell me their numbers, we can figure out why they're not showing up,

Hal Bryan
    EAA Lifetime 638979
    Managing Editor

When I search, I find 2 ultralight chapters in Arkansas, and one in Tennessee - are you sure that the two you're talking about not among those three?

Hal Bryan
    EAA Lifetime 638979
    Managing Editor

"Quote- 3) A couple pilots at the airport that I talked to said they'd raise an issue with it with the board because of them being no radio (even though a hand held could be carried)."

That is the problem with pilots today. They believe everyone uses a radio. In my experimental Airplane I fly, I have no radio. Just because it has an N Number does not mean it has a radio. No electric means no radio. Sure there are handhelds but according to the regs I do not have to have a radio and I don't use one.

I guess these pilots would not want me around either in my experimental with no radio.
    Last edited by 1600vw; 07-04-2013 at 05:05 AM.

A couple pilots at the airport that I talked to said they'd raise an issue with it with the board because of them being no radio (even though a hand held could be carried).
    That is the problem with pilots today. They believe everyone uses a radio.

Having them complain would be a good thing. Then they could be educated on ultralights and nordo aircraft.