Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How many EAA Chapters with an UL focus?

How many EAA Chapters with an UL focus?

I am trying to figure out if I just got very lucky... There are two EAA chapters in Omaha one with an UL/Light Sport focus. Nationwide how many EAA chapters are focused on the very light aircraft? I do not know how I would have gotten so far in my quest to get back to flying if it hadn't been for the help and encouragement of the guys here in the UL group.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Furr View Post
    I am trying to figure out if I just got very lucky... There are two EAA chapters in Omaha one with an UL/Light Sport focus. Nationwide how many EAA chapters are focused on the very light aircraft? I do not know how I would have gotten so far in my quest to get back to flying if it hadn't been for the help and encouragement of the guys here in the UL group.
    I don't fly ultralights but if there was a chapter like that near me, I'd join in a heartbeat.

Quote Originally Posted by martymayes View Post
    I don't fly ultralights but if there was a chapter like that near me, I'd join in a heartbeat.
    Yep, me too.

I would join one, in fact I would like to start one. If you are in the Central IL. area and want to do this, contact me.

EAA Staff / Moderator Hal Bryan's Avatar
    Here's a list of chapters that have "officially" identified themselves as having an ultralight focus:

http://eaa.org/chapters/locator/SearchResults.asp

Looks like about 30 or so.

Personally, I'd love to see more chapters look at ultralights. I'll never forget my first hop in a weightshift Quicksilver at age 14, back in the early days of 103...

Hal Bryan
    EAA Lifetime 638979
    Vintage 714005 | Warbirds 553527
    Managing Editor
    EAA—The Spirit of Aviation

Hal, that link is blank on my end.

EAA Staff / Moderator Hal Bryan's Avatar
    Sorry about that - I thought it would carry the search term with it.

Go here:

http://eaa.org/chapters/locator/

And select "Ultralights Chapters" under "Chapter Types" and you'll see the list.

Hal Bryan
    EAA Lifetime 638979
    Vintage 714005 | Warbirds 553527
    Managing Editor
    EAA—The Spirit of Aviation

Wow! 2 states (IL & WI) comprise 20% or 1/5 of the list!

Only one ultralight chapter in Washington state. And not much activity noted in past year, from their website:http://www.ul127.eaachapter.org/apps...ents?page=last

I wonder if EAA could do more to promote and insure local grass field flying sites.
    Something like what AMA does for local RC model clubs.

I bet ultralight, vintage, Homebuilt, etc. could work together to lease farm land and make local Pioneer type airstrips in local hayfields.

My model club rents a field with grass airstrip (75'x400' ) for just $500 per year. AMA provides insurance to the farmer for $90/year.

Quote Originally Posted by martymayes View Post
    Wow! 2 states (IL & WI) comprise 20% or 1/5 of the list!
    I know of a couple clubs on this list that are not active clubs. They hold monthly meeting for the members and maybe a breakfast a couple times a year but that is about it.

I bet if the EAA had a set of rules an active club had to follow in order to remain an active club, we would see the EAA chapters cut in half if not more.