Thread: Care And Feeding Of Mechanics

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Care And Feeding Of Mechanics

Airplane mechanics, and the other guys who assist them, are an important part of aviation, especially when you are dealing with unusual and sometimes rare or exotic airplanes like the ones many of us most enjoy flying, that often need more or at least different caring for.

I would like to suggest some ways for proper care and feeding of these guys and sometimes girls.

1. First of all, pay your bills promptly, and fully. Sometimes these guys are more into doing the work and don't really enjoy the paperwork and billing part. But in many cases, they may not have a lot of other income and our $300 for an oil change or $3000 for an annual is important to them. They have bills to pay also, like hangar rent and salaries in many cases.
    Don't make them chase you for a back payment, and the time to debate about a bill is before they have done the work, not after it has already been charged in most cases. There may be ways to cut costs on parts or labor, but that should be done before they are charged.

2. Many a&p s and certainly other airport workers may not be pilots or even if they are, they may not own a plane. Offer them a flight. Especially if you have something better than and out of the ordinary, give them the choice of a ride, and of course if it is dual control, let them fly some. And don't take "no" for an answer when it comes to taking the controls. I let, actually insist, that all my riders fly some, whether Young Eagles or not, and I have never found anyone who did not enjoy it. I never had anyone say they wish they had not done it once back on the ground.
    Of course, the added benefit is that the mechanic can see in flight exactly what that unusual control feel or strange noise or vibration is, better than you just telling them.

3. Most of these guys like to eat. So when I go to lunch I offer to bring back sandwiches for the shop. When I fly back from the front range, I often bring a dozen Krispy Kreme donuts for the line guys at my airport, not that most of them need the calories. But they sure are quick to respond when I need a tug to move my plane or to get fuel. And if it is donuts, don't get those awful ones from Kroger or Safeway, they are large and bland.
    And if doesn't have to be junk food, maybe if you have access to it,bring them something good for a change, not just soft drinks or fatty pizza.
    Last edited by Bill Greenwood; 06-28-2013 at 02:12 PM.