Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: FSS at Oshkosh this year?

It is just my guess, with no inside info, but I believe that the FSS station will be open at Airventure just as it has in the past.
    While I am sure that there are many people who are experts with an cell phone or other techno gadget, for me, seeing all the weather maps at FSS and having a real briefer in person seems by far the best way.

My next best way, and really sometimes even better is to see WSI at FBOs that have this service, as many of the main ones do.

About 2 years ago a pilot who's family I know and went to school with, got a briefing on his cell phone and left Steamboat Springs in a C182 with his wife and kids.
    Unfortunately the weather about 75 miles away was not so good.
    They almost made it out of the mountains, and went down about 35 miles SW of Denver. Very sad.
    Last edited by Bill Greenwood; 06-26-2013 at 07:46 PM.

In previous years, the Lockheed-Martin staff would loin us on-air on EAA Radio for a morning briefing. When I contacted them this year I was told that they would not be at AirVenture in any capacity. I also confirmed this was still the case following the agreement between EAA and FAA. We have yet to get any solid confirmation from NOAA/NWS in either direction. The same is true of several other federal pavilion regulars. It appears EAA Radio will have to lean on our staff meteorologist for 2013.
    Jim Gray
    Station Manager - EAA Radio
    http://eaaradio.net

EAA Staff
    Hi, everyone: Jim Gray is correct-- On-site FSS personnel are not expected at Oshkosh this year, for all the reasons already mentioned. That is included on Page 14 of the Oshkosh NOTAM, and also on the inside front cover. http://www.airventure.org/flying/2013_notam.pdf Phone briefings are still available toll-free through FSS and of course, things such as DUATS will also be available.

There are no briefers in Nevada. Ashburn, VA, Prescott, AZ, Fort Worth TX are the three you're likely to get on the 800-VFR-NOTRECOMMENDED