Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Composite Spec'ing

This is probably wandering off the original topic, but I'd like to see a tube and fabric pusher. Please let us know what it looks like when you get that far.

Quote Originally Posted by spungey View Post
    This is probably wandering off the original topic, but I'd like to see a tube and fabric pusher. Please let us know what it looks like when you get that far.
    Likewise. I'm definitely intrigued but then again I'm a generalized airplane geek so I tend to have at least some interest in anything that flies.

Well, I believe Geoffrey de Havilland built a few tube & fabric pushers a long time ago, but they probably didn't go as fast as what I hope to build

Y'all want to guess what kind of engine I was planning on, the N Number I have reserved is 350GT, what do you think that goes with...

But in the last 6 months I have seen an engine with the same displacement (from the same company) that I might use instead if I can figure a way to get it to run on 100LL without a lot of computer gyrations....

steveinindy, in answer to your question about composite spec'ing: I found Jim Marske's excellent but terse Composite Design Manual (http://marskeaircraft.com/) to be very helpful, and Andy Marshall's book which is available from EAA and all the usual sources. You can also try Martin Hollmann's books, but they're kind of simplistic for my tastes, although they cover things like fabric weaves and core materials fairly well, as well as manufacturing methods (vacuum bagging, etc.). Marske touches on that, too, as well as fitting design and tooling and joggles. I have more "Engineer-y" references if you want them. Try searching the web for Mil HDBK-17, NASA CR-4750, NASA RP-1351, and the General Plastics and Hexcel websites (and others) for core material product data sheets. You might also like the Structural Analysis Reference Library website: http://euler9.tripod.com/.

Here is a link to the "Reference" section of my website. I did a lot of composite research and testing while developing my composite Corsair.

http://corsair82.com/corsair/reference/reference.html

Most of these books are in the EAA Book Store. Some can be found on Amazon.
    Last edited by corsair82pilot; 12-29-2011 at 03:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by spungey View Post
    I think the Wright Brothers had one. After that designers got a lot better - at least most did.....

Composite design is one of those topics where finding the reference materials is part of the aptitude test. The manufacturers of the core materials and fabrics that you buy at places like Aircraft Spruce have almost all of their materials properties data on the web. And guys like Martin Holmann have published descent books on the topic of designing with composites.

Your problem is that a composite structure is composite, not homogeneous like Aluminum, so the math gets a lot harder. And you have to learn about weaves and analyzing the directions that you will apply stress on the part(s).

Go build some simple stuff, like a flat panel, with carbon fiber on either side of say 1/4" H45 core, and load it up with sandbags to see what it does and get some data on how your construction techniques hold up. You might find it very interesting. Very strong stuff, but harder to figure out.

Boeing, and Scaled know what they are doing.

Best of luck,

Wes

Composite design is one of those topics where finding the reference materials is part of the aptitude test. The manufacturers of the core materials and fabrics that you buy at places like Aircraft Spruce have almost all of their materials properties data on the web. And guys like Martin Holmann have published descent books on the topic of designing with composites.

Your problem is that a composite structure is composite, not homogeneous like Aluminum, so the math gets a lot harder. And you have to learn about weaves and analyzing the directions that you will apply stress on the part(s).

Thanks for the input Wes (and everyone else for that matter).

Boeing, and Scaled know what they are doing.
    I'll agreed with Scaled but there's a big difference between designing and building a one-off or kit design and figuring out how to build an airliner that will be used and abused. I suggest we sit back and see if the Boeing's predictions pan out or if the "Dreamliner" is more of a nightmare.
    Last edited by steveinindy; 12-29-2011 at 09:05 PM.

Isn't this kinda like a CHEVY vs. FORD thing? :-) Each to his own.

Tube and Fabric Canard- You mean like a MIG-8?