Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: EAA's Extraordinary Lack of Leadership

Quote Originally Posted by cdrmuetzel@juno.com View Post
    Todd makes sense to me. FAA planned to close the tower. That Class D reverts to Class G. Read the NOTAM, do what it says, be courteous. No tower, big deal.
    FAA would change that in a heart beat.

Quote Originally Posted by cub builder View Post
    It looks to me like the EAA leadership was forced to make a choice. Are they about AirVenture, Inc, or promoting and protecting general aviation? They chose AirVenture, Inc and forever sullied the EAA logo as "The First to Pay" for user fees in the USA.

Incredibly saddening.
    Wrong, Sun N Fun was first.
    Jim Hann
    EAA 276294 Lifetime
    Vintage 722607
    1957 Piper PA-22/20 "Super Pacer"
    Chapter 32 member www.eaa32.org
    www.mykitlog.com/LinerDrivr
    Fly Baby/Hevle Classic Tandem

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Downey View Post
    The EAA should have simply said " OK, don't show up" then put out a new notice, we will have no tower this year.
    And the FAA would cancel all the waivers that are required for people and aircraft in the safety zones which would eliminate most of the camping and showplane areas. The "old-timers" would get their wish, the show would be dramatically smaller!!!
    Jim Hann
    EAA 276294 Lifetime
    Vintage 722607
    1957 Piper PA-22/20 "Super Pacer"
    Chapter 32 member www.eaa32.org
    www.mykitlog.com/LinerDrivr
    Fly Baby/Hevle Classic Tandem

Quote Originally Posted by cdrmuetzel@juno.com View Post
    Todd makes sense to me. FAA planned to close the tower. That Class D reverts to Class G. Read the NOTAM, do what it says, be courteous. No tower, big deal.
    Since the FAA has delayed closing of any control towers until after the end of this fiscal year, the Oshkosh Class D will continue with, presumably, the current staffing levels. So there will be no reversion to Class G and, absent the EAA payment for extra controllers, the normal staff would only allow the level of traffic into and outof Oshkosh that they could safely handle. AirVenture would be decimated.
    Bill

Perhaps one of the older members, or an EAA staffer can answer my wife's question. She seems to recall back in the mists of the OSH event's early history, the FAA controllers actually volunteered their time, took vacation time, and maybe even took care of their own housing, to participate in the fly-in operations. Was that the case or did we just misunderstand?

The fly in has hundreds of volunteers. If the ATC staff used to be actual volunteers, what changed their participation into a government junket?

Thanks,

Wes
    N78PS

Quote Originally Posted by WLIU View Post
    Perhaps one of the older members, or an EAA staffer can answer my wife's question. She seems to recall back in the mists of the OSH event's early history, the FAA controllers actually volunteered their time, took vacation time, and maybe even took care of their own housing, to participate in the fly-in operations. Was that the case or did we just misunderstand?

The fly in has hundreds of volunteers. If the ATC staff used to be actual volunteers, what changed their participation into a government junket?

Thanks,

Wes
    N78PS
    As far as I remember it was they vouluntered for a paying assignment at Oshkosh.

In a house with my laptop.....somewhere in Collierville, TN
    What would a lawsuit over this do to the EAA/FAA relationship? I think it would likely cause irreparable damage which would cause more harm than benefit to general aviation. Because of the reasonably good relationship, the FAA tended to listen to EAA on various subjects. I think that would likely end if EAA brought legal action.

I don't like the fees either and think this is typical bureaucratic chickenschiess on the part of the FAA but at the same time, EAA has a great deal at stake. The FAA, not so much.
    Last edited by JimRice85; 06-16-2013 at 10:11 PM.
    Jim Rice
    Wolf River Airport (54M)
    Collierville, TN

N4WJ 1994 Van's RV-4 (Flying)
    N3368K 1946 Globe GC-1B Swift (Flying)--For Sale
    N7155H 1946 Piper J-3C Cub (Flying)