Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: EAA's Extraordinary Lack of Leadership

EAA's Extraordinary Lack of Leadership

June 13, 2013

In a stunning announcement today the EAA acknowledged that it agreed to pay the FAA $450,000 for the Air Traffic Control services it will provide at AirVenture.

EAA’s agreement with the FAA comes on the same day of the deadline set by 28 U.S. Senators, that insisted the FAA stop with its user fee demand and provide a formal response back to the Senators. Now, with EAA’s agreement in hand, the FAA can authoritatively state that the issue has been settled by mutual agreement, and though not perfect, provides for certainty in these difficult budgetary times and lays the groundwork for cooperation in the future (or some other B.S. to that effect – just watch).

Today EAA betrayed the interests of its Members and all of General Aviation. It blackened the eyes of the 28 Senators that were prepared to fight this issue on our behalf (I suspect they will now be hesitant to back the EAA on future issues). EAA’s agreement cements the foundation for similar, and new User Fees, which the FAA can simply demand on a whim (this one was dreamed up and implemented in just weeks).

The EAA is and will be “spinning” this as a problem with the FAA. I’ll state this is first, a problem with EAA. It is an extraordinary lack of leadership, from one of the largest voices in aviation, on the most critical issue facing General Aviation. From the Board of Directors, to the President and the next layer down, these people must be replaced. As Members, we can make this happen!

As EAA Members we can change course by:
    1.) Simply quitting (not a great option, why let EAA flounder), or
    2.) Run for the Board of Directors (or via social media campaign/write in candidate), or
    3.) Agree upon the candidates and Vote. Get Every Member You Know to Vote.

Change from within EAA may take time, but it can happen. What happened today should never happen again. Ever.

So, if you agree with me, how can you help?

Mike Hongisto
    President - EAA Chapter 1221
    hongistomichael@aol.com

Yes, a tough spot, Airventure right around the corner. It may be a little late to try to revamp ATC to safely handle air traffic this year. If it has to be done for the show to go on, so be it. I'd also get a study group going for what to do next year. That $450,000 is a good amount of cash. Maybe there's a private option that would work, retired ATC, whatever. This would be against the backdrop of large Federal spending deficits that can't continue & the push for more 'user fees'.

It looks to me like the EAA leadership was forced to make a choice. Are they about AirVenture, Inc, or promoting and protecting general aviation? They chose AirVenture, Inc and forever sullied the EAA logo as "The First to Pay" for user fees in the USA.

Incredibly saddening.

I am truly curious: does the EAA membership understand that what constitutes wastefraudandabuse is based on the perspective of the persons or groups making the judgement? "Cutting big government down to size" means, exactly, cutting programs with major dollars in them - such as the FAA - and imposing user fees for what were once deemed universally-funded public services. There isn't enough wastefraudandabuse in /other people's/ programs to make a significant dent in the federal budget, nor enough payments to 'moochers' to make a significant difference. /Everyone's/ programs, including the ones we like, will be affected by the sequester and the House majority's drive to cut "big government". Not only is it hypocritical to complain when it is our preferred programs that feel the bite, but it is also a bit blind not to realize that for 99% of the citizens of the United States federal support for general aviation IS a form of wastefraudandabuse.

'Don't cut me; don't cut thee: cut that fellow's program behind that tree'.

Quote Originally Posted by sphealey View Post
    I am truly curious: does the EAA membership understand that what constitutes wastefraudandabuse is based on the perspective of the persons or groups making the judgement? "Cutting big government down to size" means, exactly, cutting programs with major dollars in them - such as the FAA - and imposing user fees for what were once deemed universally-funded public services. There isn't enough wastefraudandabuse in /other people's/ programs to make a significant dent in the federal budget, nor enough payments to 'moochers' to make a significant difference. /Everyone's/ programs, including the ones we like, will be affected by the sequester and the House majority's drive to cut "big government". Not only is it hypocritical to complain when it is our preferred programs that feel the bite, but it is also a bit blind not to realize that for 99% of the citizens of the United States federal support for general aviation IS a form of wastefraudandabuse.

'Don't cut me; don't cut thee: cut that fellow's program behind that tree'.
    Obviously you don't run a business or pay much in taxes yourself. The outrage I feel in this matter isn't so much with the EAA as it is in this government's selective cost cutting designed to hurt the groups which are most vocal against big government. A lot more old fashioned get it done attitude and a lot less waste, fraud, and abuse IS the right answer. Waste, in this case is NOT using the FAA to do what it is supposed to do! Waste is things like 50 million in parties for the IRS while extorting extra funds from the EAA! To offer explanation for this over bloated government by suggesting that we (the EAA) needs to pay "it's fair share" so to speak is obsurd to all but the serious cool aid drinkers.

" There isn't enough wastefraudandabuse in /other people's/ programs"

I was under the obvious misguided impression that I pay my aviation fuel taxes and I get ATC services and support for Sun-N-Fun and OSH in return. If my aviation fuel taxes are not returning that value to me then I will support either cutting the FAA budget or reducing the aviation fuel tax.

Frankly, I expect to get no benefit from the over cost and behind schedule Nexgen program just like the much heralded Microwave Landing System turned out to be a big bust. So lets cut the FAA development budget and move the money to ATC operations.

Why are none of the folks who think user fees are a good idea also in favor of cutting the aviation fuel tax? Are those idividuals ignorant of the promise that was the rationale for that tax?

And have all of the folks who complain about EAA sent an e-mail to their Senators and Representative asking for Congress to step in? Complaining is easy. Actually doing something is work.

Best of luck,

Wes
    N78PS
    Last edited by WLIU; 06-14-2013 at 06:48 AM.

Well said Wes!,

The subject of this blog is off base, we don't have enough facts to make a critical judgement on EAA's decision. The timing of this is right out of the "Meigs" playbook!

Joe

Angry

I am stunned and dismayed that EAA caved-in and agreed to FAA extortion prior to letting FAA respond to the Senate letter. You ask us to mobilize Congress, we do, and then you don't wait for FAA to respond to the Senate letter?!?

Please explain to the membership why you had to agree to FAA in advance of FAA answering to Senate.

I understand that many are upset at Pelton. I will wait to allow him to explain his strategy going forward and how he intends to respond in full.

my understanding is there was more to the decision than just controllers. The FAA grants waivers to certain rules to conduct the event.

i like that EAA forced the two payments. Now they have some leverage as well.

we as an organization have to decide how much civil disobedience we are willing to do and at what cost. There are few options to fight the FAA as they control our flying and there are limited appeal process. Remember Bob Hover's medical event.

i would like us to find some way to,express our objection hopefully in a humorist way.

I agree. I am not surprised that they paid. They really didn't have much of a choice due to this being sprung on them right before the show. Canceling the show as much as people like to spout that idea just isn't and option.

What bugs me though is the timimg. Why pay the day before the FAA has to respond to congress? Why go to the trouble of asking us to write our representatives if you are just going to undermine their letter those 28 senators sent supporting EAA in this fight? Do you really think they are going to stand up and fight for us again next year after what you just did?

I think EAA needs to expain to its membership what is really going on. I believe that most of its members will swallow the pill of having to pay this year due to the timing of the request but what we won't stand for is being told one thing while doing something completely contradictory in the background.

Keith