Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Grass Runway search From MO to PA

Grass Runway search From MO to PA

I'll be flying an antique tailwheel airplane from northern Missouri almost due east to southwest Pennsylvania next month and I'd like to refuel at all grass fields on the way. Anyone know of Turf runways at airports with fuel that might make an interesting stop? The trip will be over Bloomington IL, south of Peoria, over LaFayette, north of Muncie, north of Columbus and south of Pittsburgh but i will go out of my way to see great stuff. Thanks

If you are an AOPA member as I hope all of us are as well as EAA, there is an airport guide available each year from them.
    It shows all the larger public use airports in the state, and you can see what size each runway is and what is is made of. It may not list small private fields.
    Our FBO like many others has one copy for public use, not to be taken off.

But Airguide sells their Flight Guide, at $35 for each area,( I have seen it discounted by half) and it shows almost all airports, even smaller ones, and shows which are grass runways.
    And it use to be a small book, easy to carry in the front seat of most planes or in a map pocket of a flight suit, but now it is 81/2" by 5" so not much portable anymore.
    Sadly what used to be 3 areas that cover the whole country is not 6 areas so in effect a 100% price increase for the same coverage.

Columbia, Lexington, Creve Coeur, etc. have grass, as does Greenville.
    Last edited by Bill Greenwood; 06-12-2013 at 09:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Greenwood View Post
    If you are an AOPA member as I hope all of us are as well as EAA, they send you an airport guide each year as part of the membership.
    Well, no they don't. They ended that perk 10 or so years ago. You can purchase one from AOPA for about $20 ~ $25.

2K0 - Piatt County has cheap fuel. The runway is "non-standard" - there is a hill in the middle. As long as the winds allow it land on 36, touchdown where the grass is worn at the top of the hill. Take off on 18. (some of the locals complain if you make noise to the north & west of the airport) You might want to call ahead for fuel, the locals know the combination, but you won't. The airport manager lives just down the road.

6G4 - Wynkoop Field, Mount Vernon, OH just northeast of Columbus. Home of the National Waco Club Fly-in, which is June 27-30 this year. Beautiful grass strip, cheap gas, and the owner, Brian Wynkoop would love for you to stop and see him. One of the few airports left that is stuck in the 1950's.

I receive my AOPA airport directory each year from AOPA and I don't order it or as far as I know, pay extra. It has been this way for me for as long as I remember.
    I guess it is possible that the directory charge is part of my auto renewal, and I am not seeing it. Anyway, I use AOPA and that directory a lot and think it alone is worth most the the membership price.
    Last edited by Bill Greenwood; 06-11-2013 at 03:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Enos View Post
    I'll be flying an antique tailwheel airplane from northern Missouri almost due east to southwest Pennsylvania next month and I'd like to refuel at all grass fields on the way. Anyone know of Turf runways at airports with fuel that might make an interesting stop? The trip will be over Bloomington IL, south of Peoria, over LaFayette, north of Muncie, north of Columbus and south of Pittsburgh but i will go out of my way to see great stuff. Thanks
    Bob, The airplane wouldn't happen to be a green & cream Aeronca would it ???

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Greenwood View Post
    I receive my AOPA airport directory each year from AOPA and I don't order it or as far as I know, pay extra. It has been this way for me for as long as I remember.
    I guess it is possible that the directory charge is part of my auto renewal, and I am not seeing it. Anyway, I use AOPA and that directory a lot and think it alone is worth most the the membership price.
    Direct from aopa.org -> trip. The directory costs $19.95 for AOPA members

Yes it is a beautiful green and cream stick Chief... How'd you know? These are all great ideas! I'll need about 5 stops on the way and if I can pull off the timing, it looks like I'll get to see some Waco's on the way.

"Old gun bunny" , well if you are correct, ( I don't order or join on the website, I used the phone ) then one can save the $45 by not joining AOPA in the first place, plus the $19.95 for the directory.
    I joined them in 1980 shortly after I became a pilot so all the 33 years may run together in my memory which may not be as sharp for small details as it was.

And one will have a lot more money for other things like old guns.

So who is right about the AOPA directory? Well, in a way we both are. I phoned AOPA and they say they discontinued the directory being included in the price 2 years ago, not 10 years. I know I have a 2009-2010 on my shelf and one in my plane that may be a year newer.
    However, I also buy the enhanced service legal plan,which I have needed to use once, and when I renewed my membership today I got the directory included without an extra charge for it. They are shipping next week for anyone who is interested.
    Last edited by Bill Greenwood; 06-12-2013 at 09:52 AM.