Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Grass Runway search From MO to PA

Another airport in IL near your route with turf and asphalt is MQB.

Quote Originally Posted by Diana View Post
    8I3 was one of the friendliest grass strips I stopped at on my grass strip tour.
    AAA is also near your route, and has asphalt and turf.

Diana, tell us more about the grass strip tour?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Enos View Post
    Diana, tell us more about the grass strip tour?
    One summer day while mowing our runways on the old John Deere, I decided to fly around the country (east of the Rockies), exploring grass strips. Grass airfields offer the kind of like-minded people and a lifestyle that I can identify with/enjoy the most. Posting on various aviation forums, like this one, was a way to tap the knowledge of fellow aviators. Finding grass strips that also had fuel was the biggest challenge.

On my first solo grass strip tour I spent a month flying around, sometimes staying with folks on their farms, once stayed at a little cabin, once slept in a barn. EAA invited me to give a forum presentation about my tour, which I did in 2008. Competing with the Raptor was a challenge.

Since then I have gone on shorter grass strip trips, and plan to do more this fall. I would be glad to share the links to other forums where I received helpful input from other pilots.

Bob, where are you located in Missouri?

Land at Grimes Field (I74) Urbana, Ohio and use our 3,000 X 100 ft. north/south grass runway just west of 20/02. For some strange reason, it isn't listed on most charts except the Ohio Airport listing book. We have the Airport Café on the field plus the http://champaignaviationmuseum.org/ and http://aviationheritagearea.org/loca...ab-foundation/. And, Waco field in Troy is a short hop to see and visit! Everything is closed on Mondays and early on Sunday.

These are all great suggestions, some of these are close enough to home for a nice cross country trip. looking forward to some camping expeditions as well, which I wasn't even aware of prior to this posting. (thanks Jethiker) Looks like an unsettled NorthEast for the next week so I doubt I will try the trip early next week but instead possibly over the 4th. What a great way to spend the Holiday! Still looking for turf strips at airports with paved runways, seems that these are the hardest to find because the paved runway gets all the glory. Thanks again for all the replies and keep the suggestions coming.

Your are invited to stop at Grimes Field (I74) on the 4th of July to eat for you FREE Urbana Rotary Club(I sell the tickets) barbecue chicken starting after 4 P.M. and then watch the fireworks all at the airport.

Thanks Rick, We may take you up on that if it works out. I do have I74 on my stop list but not sure which day. Possibly driving out on the 4th and flying back through on the 6th or so... It's all still up in the air.

Well Rick beat me to the punch! I74 is a must stop on your way out of Indiana, even if you've had lunch save room for pie and coffee! Waco Field is also kool and if your heading south a bit check out Stewart Field (40I) in Waynesville the best taildragger school in Ohio...Cubs, Champs, a Citabria, and a Stearman, just a bit SE of Dayton!

Joe