Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Solar Impulse Across America

Solar Impulse Across America

I am surprised and, as an EAA member active in building and participant to a local EAA chapter, disappointed by the apparent lack of interest from EAA (and AOPA for that matter) regarding the historic flight across America by a solar powered plane built and flown by Bertrand Piccard. If anything, Solar Impulse epitomizes Experimental Aviation at its best. And this is just a beginning as the current Solar Impulse is a test bed for a two seater designed to fly around the world in 2015. Could anyone in this forum or from EAA headquarters explain to me the reason of this apparent disdain?
    Last edited by jpbernoux; 06-06-2013 at 05:45 PM. Reason: missed a verb

What is this aircraft built to demonstrate other than it can be done?
    Others have built solar powered aircraft for much less than $100 million.
    I think the energy consumed to make a hundred million dollars worth of carbon fiber could be equal to the total lifetime supply of 1000 people. Just because it flies with no onboard fuel in flight doesn't mean no fuel was used to make it.
    How is this "green". How can this be called the future of personal or commercial flight?

EAA Staff / Moderator Hal Bryan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jpbernoux View Post
    I am surprised and, as an EAA member active in building and participant to a local EAA chapter, disappointed by the apparent lack of interest from EAA (and AOPA for that matter) regarding the historic flight across America by a solar powered plane built and flown by Bertrand Piccard. If anything, Solar Impulse epitomizes Experimental Aviation at its best. And this is just a beginning as the current Solar Impulse is a test bed for a two seater designed to fly around the world in 2015. Could anyone in this forum or from EAA headquarters explain to me the reason of this apparent disdain?

We've covered this airplane several times. No disdain here!

Hal Bryan
    EAA Lifetime 638979
    Vintage 714005 | Warbirds 553527
    Managing Editor
    EAA—The Spirit of Aviation

Quote Originally Posted by Hal Bryan View Post
    We've covered this airplane several times. No disdain here!
    I see, great sense of humor in EAA staff despite the NIH syndrome!
    BTW, I withdraw what I said about AOPA, they have posted a nice story about the Dallas to St. Louis flight on the AOPA news here.
    ... I presume that seeing Solar Impulse in Oshkosh (where it rightfully belongs) is just a pipe dream?

I presume that seeing Solar Impulse in Oshkosh (where it rightfully belongs) is just a pipe dream?
    As for seeing Solar Impulse here in Oshkosh, I know we'd love to! When we first spoke to them around the time they were announcing the cross-country flight, there two problems: First, they'd told us at that point that they expected the flight to be finished before Oshkosh. Second, they needed a hangar big enough to accommodate an airplane with a 208' wingspan and we don't have such a thing.

Since those early discussions, a couple of things have happened: First, I know they've come up with a mobile, inflatable hangar that they've just been using for the first time in St. Louis. Second, they've just reached back out to us (within the last day or so, as I understand it) and said "let's talk about Oshkosh."

If we can work it out, we think the airplane would be a fascinating and welcome addition.

Hal Bryan
    EAA Lifetime 638979
    Managing Editor

That would be really cool. I'm at work in Alaska right now and so I'm missing its visit to my hometown!
    Jim Hann
    EAA 276294 Lifetime
    Vintage 722607
    1957 Piper PA-22/20 "Super Pacer"
    Chapter 32 member www.eaa32.org
    www.mykitlog.com/LinerDrivr
    Fly Baby/Hevle Classic Tandem

As for seeing Solar Impulse here in Oshkosh, I know we'd love to! When we first spoke to them around the time they were announcing the cross-country flight, there two problems: First, they'd told us at that point that they expected the flight to be finished before Oshkosh. Second, they needed a hangar big enough to accommodate an airplane with a 208' wingspan and we don't have such a thing.

Since those early discussions, a couple of things have happened: First, I know they've come up with a mobile, inflatable hangar that they've just been using for the first time in St. Louis. Second, they've just reached back out to us (within the last day or so, as I understand it) and said "let's talk about Oshkosh."

If we can work it out, we think the airplane would be a fascinating and welcome addition.

Glad to hear that Hal, and I really do hope things will work as it is in the interest of both parties. In addition, if it works I will be able to pretend that my posting has to do with it!

In addition, if it works I will be able to pretend that my posting has to do with it!
    Okay, but if it doesn't work out, does that mean it's partly your fault?

Hal Bryan
    EAA Lifetime 638979
    Managing Editor

Okay, but if it doesn't work out, does that mean it's partly your fault?
    OK Hal, I will take the blame... for a free pass to Osh!

EAA Radio will be recording an interview with these fine folks in a few weeks. We will also have on the air them during AirVenture 13, regardless whether they have the aircraft on display. On a personal note, I'd love to see it in person!
    Jim Gray
    Station Manager - EAA Radio
    http://eaaradio.net