Thread: Plane arrival at seaplane base

Plane arrival at seaplane base

I have never seen a seaplane land or take off. Last year we went the Sunday before EAA opened and saw the regular airplanes land one after another. Does something like this take place for the seaplanes? If so can you get anywhere to watch them land and photograph them landing / taking off? Even if you can't see them land can you get down to the seaplane base and at least watch them taxi in?

We went to the seaplane base on the last Saturday last year. There was one plane making regular departures and arrivals. Pretty much everyone there was bunched up on the shore to see it. I don't think that there are enough planes at the seaplane base to have the steady stream like at Wittman, but there is action to be seen.

Since you are in Wisconsin, you should check out the list that the WI DOT maintains of seaplane bases for one near you. You might be able to stop by one of the locations and take all of the photos you want.

http://www.dot.wisconsin.gov/travel/...lane-bases.htm

Best of luck,

Wes
    N78PS

Brian

To get to the seaplanes base is very easy. From the Airventure grounds, there are buses to shuttle you over - I can't recall for certain, but I think they asked for a small donation to do so. The buses depart from the bus area if I recall correctly (if I am wrong I am certain three or four people will be happy to tell us all).

It is a short ride there, and the seaplane base is quiet and secluded - provides a welcome relief from the crowds at the airport. It is photogenic and a great way to relax.

They offer boat rides out in the lagoon (again, small donation required) and I found several spots to sit on the shore and take photos as the seaplanes taxied out into the lake and took off and landed.

Hope this helps
    Robbie Culver
    Robbie Culver
    Sonex #1517
    Taildragger
    AeroVee
    Currently working on the wings
    Chicagoland

Visiting the Seaplane Base is one of my "must do's" every year. The ambiance is very relaxing, the atmosphere is friendly, and yes, you can watch seaplanes land and take off in the bay outside of the lagoon. There is food and drink there, a few forums, potties, etc. And lots of Kodak moments. You can drive to the Seaplane Base if you drove to Airventure, or you can take the bus. There is no charge to go--the charge is to come back! Here's the separate website: http://www.oshkoshseaplanebase.com/

Cary
    "I have slipped the surly bonds of earth...,
    put out my hand and touched the face of God." J.G. Magee

I am not a seaplane pilot and don't know for sure, but there may be rides to the base from other places at EAA also.
    I was down at the south end near the antique area and think I saw a bus and a sign that you could ride it from there. For some that would save a long ways going back up to the bus depot which is west and a little north of the control tower.

Thanks for the feedback and I do know where the base is. We took the bus there last year. Unfortunately there wasn't much going on though for plane movement which is why I was thinking if I went there the Sat or Sun before EAA opens I would catch the planes landing and taxi into the lagoon area.

Cary - Thanks for the link above. I sent them an e-mail to see what they suggest.

Brian