Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Hints for Homebuilders Videos-What are your ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by flyingriki View Post
    Vaccum bagging.
    More on composites.
    The rest of your series is terrific!
    +1. I spent my time in wood shop and learned a fair bit from Dad about machinery, but I'd like to have a better understanding of composites.

Removing pop rivets....tiny hole punch to knock out the stem before drilling....wish I knew that earlier.

More fabric covering hints and tricks...Covering a fuselage, alternate knot tying

Painting from prep, prime and finish coats

The videos have been a huge help.

Thanks

Jake

An article on ways to degauss a steel tube fuselage to improve compass accuracy - or even make it possible to get the compass correction within reasonable numbers.

I had to work on my J4 for a long time with a degauss kludge before I could get the compass to work. I removed the tachometer and the compass before trying anything although I don't know if that is necessary. I found that the aircraft compass would correct up to about +/- 45 degrees but the old airplane steel fuselage was way beyond that. A degauss kludge can be made with a coil of Romex cable with the conductor and ground ends wired together to make a single continuous winding. Something to limit the current (like a heater) is necessary. Fiddling around with a piece of 4130 tubing, it seemed like it took about 50 ampere-turns to demagnetize.

EAA Staff / Moderator Charlie Becker's Avatar
    All,

Thanks for the recent ideas. We'll add them to the list. We plan to shoot a few more in the next 45 days.
    Sonex flight testing complete. Building a Super Cub clone, check it out at www.facebook.com/piratecub

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Boatright View Post
    I'd love to see a video and tips on how to use a vacuum bag to form aluminum leading edges. Alternately, other good techniques for a homebuilder to form leading edges.
    I had problems bending the aluminum leading edge to fit. I realized that on order to manhandle the leading edge around the nose ribs they had to first be secured. I used 90o angle formed from scrap al secured with small nuts and bolts fro the top of rib to web of the spar. I then alone, help would have been good, used tiedowns and long peice of wood to rachet the skin around the ribs. You must first cut the skin to length as it might interfere with the straps.

thanks for such ideas.....i m also following ur page on fb....

regards

I need instructions about how to select in the market the proper Styrofoam which shall be used to built Rutan/KR type of home-built aircraft. Discussing with colleagues of various experimental experience, i noticed that there is confusion and several mixed opinions (blue and pink polystyrene extruded, or polyurethane extruded, small/big cell, typical densities....). I'd love to see video about it, with eventually even market and brands references.

Here in Europe purchasing voluminous stuff from Aircraft Spruce or Wicks is not convenient (high oversee shipment cost), therefore we need criteria to find equivalent products in the local market.

Regards,
    Bruno

Suggested responses to the old question: When will it fly? But dramatize the questioner and your recommended answers, don't just sit on a stool in front of the camera, or you will just bore us into going back to work on our own projects...which is what I should be doing instead of snooping around these forums!

Don't use TIG, MIG, or any other electric welder, and you won't have magnetism issues. Gas welding may be old school, but it's easier on the compass. And don't use brazing rod to tack weld your tubes, like I caught ol' PHP doing on one of his Pober Ace projects. That was a real PITA to grind off all the brass in order to get decent welds! Yeah, he looked good in the posed photos, but Paul never did learn how to weld.

I would like to see something on LED lighting, including taxi, landing and nav/strobes. How many lumens are needed for each application, how much power, etc. Which is better, round, square, or rectangle shaped lights.

Another item could be a whole new segment on engine overhauls. This could be broken down into many short videos.