Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Hints for Homebuilders Videos-What are your ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Ingram View Post
    I would like to see more video's covering the different types of wood glues and epoxies. When It came time to choose my bonding agent I struggled to comprehend the various glues/epoxies and the pro's and cons of each. It would have been a time saver if I had a better idea of how the different products were applied, how much to apply, how much clamping pressure works best, what kind of surface preparation is or isn't needed and most of all just a better understanding of what is out there available to us builders.Thanks,Chris
    +1

Bending a leading edge.

OMG, I know all the hard ways of doing it, but not a simple one that gives great results.
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

I still have to see these videos myself. I'm new here and I need all the information I can get.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Giger View Post
    Bending a leading edge.

OMG, I know all the hard ways of doing it, but not a simple one that gives great results.
    You know about the shop vac method? There's an article in SA about this already - mid 1980's, I think (maybe 1986 or so). They were using it on the Monnett Moni design. This was rediscovered by Sonex builders maybe 5-6-7 years ago, and has caused mass abandonment of house-buckling presses ever since. Seriously, somewhere there's a photo of a Sonex wing leading edge press in someone's garage, where they used house jacks to the ceiling joists to - well, what did you think would happen - the ceiling cracked and the house lifted up... The shop vac method is casual and non-threatening by comparison. One builder already documented this on video - he distributed it via cd for a while, but it might be on a video website by now. If it isn't, it should be...
    Murphy's 13th: Every solution breeds new problems...

http://www.spoonworld.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Hongisto View Post
    How about vid on Vortex Generators? Before and after performance results (minimum liftoff airspeed, power off stall, power on stall).

I put these on my low wing, 520 lb Fisher Avenger (installed on the wing and tail; 3" apart on the wing and 1.5" apart on the underside of the stabilizer). I think it's one of the best performance enhancement that one can get - and for very little money. Also, it made a noticeable difference in ride quality. It rides smoother in turbulence than it ever did before. Also if one ever has to land off airport, that 5 to 8 MPH slower touchdown speed is a real safety benefit.

Your Sonex would make for a good test case; posting before and after results, along with your impressions of the difference in overall ride quality.
    Mike

Can you share any photos/information on the Vortex Generators on you Avenger. I am considering building an Avenger and am looking for any feedback regarding building/flying the Avenger.

Ken, Ontario Canada

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Becker View Post
    So what should we put on the list?
    Hi Charlie,

I'm about to replace the control wires on an Australian Lightwing, an LSA sized rag & tube acft.

While there are a couple of videos that cover Nicopress, tension etc, I come from a marine background where I learnt proper preparation of wire rope so I have some questions which don't seem to be addressed anywhere.

Q1. Does the new control cable wire need to be pre-stretched before making up the cable lengths ? Why/why not ? Method ?
    Q1a. If so what stretching tension would you use ? 1/2SWL ? 3/4SWL ?
    Q2. When making up the new length should I make any allowance for future stretching ? How much ?
    Q3. Is there a trick/jig to make-up the new cable to the same length as the existing cable ? (As simple as a couple of nails in a 4X2 ?)
    Q4. What are the advantages/disadvantages of galvanised vs stainless steel wire.
    Q5. If I use gal/SS wire should I use Cd or SS thimbles ? Why ?
    Q6. What are the pros & cons of bare copper & nickel plated copper swages ? Which should I use for gal/SS wire ?

I'm sure a whole family of videos could be created covering different aspects of this subject.

Other points that could be covered:

Tips for the newby eg swaging one end of every wire first to get practice with the tools & process where you can just cut off a couple of centimetres and start again if you make a mistake. Likewise, finish the long ones first so you can cut them down and use them for the shorter cables if you make a mistake.

Why you heat shrink the wire tail but do not heatshrink the swage.

Why you don't use boat shop aluminium swages.

On a side issue, ongoing maintenance, should the wire be lubricated and if so what is available that won't attract dirt, how should it be applied to get penetration. (Somehow I don't think the lube we used on the mooring cables for a 40,000T container ship would be appropriate.)

Parallel video(s) could cover making up cables for a new install, what are the options to connect cable to the turnbuckles or fixed points, advantages/disadvantages. Tips & tricks to getting the length right. Choice of cable.

With the move away from externally braced aircraft there is also less expertise readily available on rigging wires. Something on the specifics of rigging wires such as streamline sections v wire might be of interest. How do you measure the tension in a streamline section ?

While I'll have the new cables in the Lightwing before that video(s) could be made, perhaps there are other people out there who would benefit.

Thanks.

Mark

Bending a leading edge.

You know about the shop vac method?
    If you search "Bending a Sonex leading edge skin with the vacuum method" on you tube......

These are ideas off the top of my head, I DO NOT know if any of these have been produced already:

Using the "greased plates" method for aligning landing gear
    "Cushion" in the movement of Bowden cable type engine controls, and proper routing/clamping of Bowden cable controls
    Turnbuckle safety-ing, single and double wrap
    Getting fabric covering down around 3D curved surfaces
    Getting pinked fabric tape on straight, around wingtips and other curves
    Adjusting the balance between thrust line and aerodynamic rigging
    Various methods of deburring sheet metal, from classic tools to new-era homebuilder discoveries (scotchbrite wheels)
    Step-drilling and reaming structural bolt holes for perfect fit and safety
    Setback and other factors for correct sheet metal bending

BTW, congratulations on an incredible idea (the Hints for Homebuilders videos). This is a tremendous resource for builders... Home Run for EAA!

As someone mentioned before, you should consider adding videos for flying airplane maintenance. What about "Hints for Aircraft Owners", or "The Educated Aircraft Owner" videos, assisting pilots and owners of Cessna/Piper aircraft as well. This is a low-cost opportunity to further solidify EAA's position as the leader in sport aviation,as well as reaching out to pilots who were not otherwise "EAA types".
    Last edited by Victor Bravo; 03-13-2013 at 12:18 AM.
    EZ Flap is the high performance upgrade for Cessna, Piper, Stinson, Maule and Beech manual flaps.
    More performance - more control - more visibility ! 100% Money Back Guarantee www.ezflaphandle.com

Best practices for cutting and installing Baffle material

Charlie,

I sure would like to know how others cut and install baffle material. Do you mitre corners? overlap them? glue them together? How do you go around a radius? Etc.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Becker View Post
    Okay, so we've published over 220 Hint for Homebuilders videos and we'll be filming some more tonight. We can always use more ideas so I'd like to hear what topics we should put on list for future shoots. Remember the topic should be able to fit in a 3-8 minute segment.

So what should we put on the list?

How to make tube fairings.

I would love to buy some of that material and make some tube fairings, I guess that is what they are called.

This may seem simple for the builder but to me this is a major undertaking. This would be a great how to. I am sure there are tricks to doing this.

It looks as if you just cut a measure then put ends on the new fairings and bolt them into place, But I am sure there is more to this.

There may already be a webinar on this and I have not come across it yet.