Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Hints for Homebuilders Videos-What are your ideas?

I thought of another video that might helpful. When I ordered my Garmin GTX 327 transponder, I also had the vendor create a labeled wiring harness to make things a little easier for my installation. When I started working on installing the harness, I found that there were a lot wires that I didn't need for the installation, since I'm only going to connect my transponder to my Dynon D-100. The one wire I did need wasn't there, in pin #19, which hooks to the Dynon 100. Then I watched the following video:

http://www.eaavideo.org/video.aspx?v=713328494001

This video taught how to install male pins into a round connector. It also showed how to remove the pins, once installed, using a small tool that when inserted into a pin hole would release any pin already installed. I used my version of the tool to remove the wires that I didn't need and transferred one of the wires to pin hole #19, to use to connect to my Dynon D-100.

Name:  25pinconnector.jpg
Views: 2734
Size:  54.0 KB

Since many of the current avionics use 25 pin connectors, I think it would make a great video to show not only the installation and removal of the male pins in these type connectors, but the female pins as well.

Smitty: A couple of things that will help with that video....It helps to get pins and sockets in and out of the conenctor body if you squirt/douse/dribble a little high purity alcohol into the hole you are going to work with. We do tons of Mil-Spec connectors that have the synthetic inserts as well as the hard inserts and the alcohol helps tremendously...especially if you are hanging upside down in a fuel tank trying to rewire a 30+ wire connector some stone mason broke during maintenance.

Also, using the self stick silicone is fine, IF you have everything already working as it should. It's terrible to get apart if you have to break into the connector for some reason. We use it in a few places, but for the most part, we use teflon electrical tape when we need to add diameter to the wire bundle at the strain relief. It will stick to itself but can be cut with an X-acto if needed.

A good practice to use when you are working on the wiring plan, is to block draw your wiring schematics... ie a block with all the pin listings between that connector and the next one, showing only the ones going between the two. You may end up with the same connector on multiple diagrams, buty that's ok. It saves time and effort if you have to do some troubleshooting and makes it way easy to do a ringout prior to powering up your bird the first time. It aslo saves frustration if you are working with a big connector that has wires going to multiple locations

Thanks Craig!

I appreciate the advice!

I tell everyone that as an electrician, I'm one heck of a dentist...

I built an airplane with out much difficulty, but now I need to know how to maintain it properly.

Could a short presentation be made like "new owners 101" or "tip's to taking care of your new baby".

Quote Originally Posted by hydroguy2 View Post
    I built an airplane with out much difficulty, but now I need to know how to maintain it properly.

Could a short presentation be made like "new owners 101" or "tip's to taking care of your new baby".
    I added it to the list Brian!
    Chad Jensen
    EAA #755575

I'd love to see a video and tips on how to use a vacuum bag to form aluminum leading edges. Alternately, other good techniques for a homebuilder to form leading edges.

Keep the ideas coming...added yours Kyle!
    Chad Jensen
    EAA #755575

Plexiglas

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Becker View Post
    ......So what should we put on the list?
    I'd like to see a "how to" segment on creating small parts from Plexiglas sheet. Besides the obvious...using a mold of some sort and the judicious application of heat....how is shaping Plexiglas properly done?

Good idea Rick...might be a good discussion to get in to to learn more about it to bring us to a point where we could do a video on it. I'm pretty sure a few Tailwind builders have shaped their own wingtip lenses, so maybe that would be a source...
    Chad Jensen
    EAA #755575

I'd like to learn how to build a nice, pretty electrical wiring harness.