Thread: Hints for Homebuilders Videos-What are your ideas?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    How about vid on Vortex Generators? Before and after performance results (minimum liftoff airspeed, power off stall, power on stall).

I put these on my low wing, 520 lb Fisher Avenger (installed on the wing and tail; 3" apart on the wing and 1.5" apart on the underside of the stabilizer). I think it's one of the best performance enhancement that one can get - and for very little money. Also, it made a noticeable difference in ride quality. It rides smoother in turbulence than it ever did before. Also if one ever has to land off airport, that 5 to 8 MPH slower touchdown speed is a real safety benefit.

Your Sonex would make for a good test case; posting before and after results, along with your impressions of the difference in overall ride quality.

Here's something y'all might do for the composite guys. How to make an inspection cover...

1. Cut a hole the size that the actual cover will be. This will eventually be the cover, so don't hack it up. It may be helpful to determine how big the hole should be, then add width of the flange (both sides).

2. Smooth the edges of the cover making it symmetrical, or whatever shape you want. If it's not symmetrical, it will only fit one way.

3. Cover the inspection cover with tape and wax.

4. Insert the the cover into the hole. Hold it there with wood and tape so it stays flush.

5. Fill the gap between the cover and the hole with Aerosil or some other structural filler, depending on the composite system you're using.

6. Laminate over the hole with three layers of glass, or however much is needed to match the original material. This will form the flange.

7. After curing, drill holes for the screws.

8. Tap out the cover.

9. Grind down the excess glass to make a uniform sized flange.

10. Place nut plates on the flange, holding in place with clecos.

11. Drill holes as needed and rivet nut plates into position.

12. Secure the inspection cover with proper sized screws.

You will now have a flush, perfectly sized inspection cover.

BTW... This will work with almost anything that needs a flange.
    Someday I'll come up with something profound to put here.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Hongisto View Post
    How about vid on Vortex Generators? Before and after performance results (minimum liftoff airspeed, power off stall, power on stall).

I put these on my low wing, 520 lb Fisher Avenger (installed on the wing and tail; 3" apart on the wing and 1.5" apart on the underside of the stabilizer). I think it's one of the best performance enhancement that one can get - and for very little money. Also, it made a noticeable difference in ride quality. It rides smoother in turbulence than it ever did before. Also if one ever has to land off airport, that 5 to 8 MPH slower touchdown speed is a real safety benefit.

Your Sonex would make for a good test case; posting before and after results, along with your impressions of the difference in overall ride quality.
    Mike

Can you share any photos/information on the Vortex Generators on you Avenger. I am considering building an Avenger and am looking for any feedback regarding building/flying the Avenger.

Ken, Ontario Canada