Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Hints for Homebuilders Videos-What are your ideas?

If you are still looking, a series on wood selection would be nice. I am looking at building a Mini-max Eros and would like to know more. The plans cover some of the information but it would be nice to have a more in-depth knowledge of what I am doing and where to find more information. Below is a list of what I would like to see covered if possible.
    1. What type of wood is typically used in different applications like spars, longerons, rib cap strips, gusset material, etc. What is to be avoided?
    2. Grain orientation for spars, longerons, rib cap strips, gusset material, etc.
    3. Selection of wood for the parts listed above, including runout, knots, grain pattern, etc. and what is acceptable / safe in different applications.
    4. Glue application. How much? Thin layer or a little thicker?
    5. Moisture content. What to look for and how to change it properly. What about wood at different moisture contents (not extreme) used in the same parts?
    6. Long term storage. Seal the wood as soon as each part is constructed or can you wait. How long is too long?
    7. Warped wood. How warped is too warped?
    8. Clamping pressure. When is it too much? Different clamping techniques and types for gussets, frame sides, fuselage assembly, etc.
    I have an idea on most of these from building furniture most of my life but I would like to know more as these techniques pertain to aircraft construction. Besides, you need more videos for us wood and fabric guys.
    Thanks,
    John

Banned
    Make a video on how tight bracing cross wires should be inside of wings and how to true them all up. Because I really don't know. I've seen a video somewhere of how tight control cables should be and how to tighen them up, something like around 20 pounds? Don't remember off hand... probably wrong.

Make a video on how to keep carpenter bumble bees from drilling holes in your wing spars and other wooden plane parts, which is obviously structurally dangerous.

I would like to see some more composite videos. Examples would be mixing epoxy and microballons and/or flock to the correct consistency. Repair work would be a great example.

In general, I would like to see more advanced videos. It appears that many of the recent videos are basic and are intended for a newer audience that do not have a lot of building experience building. Techniques for moderately skilled builders would be great. An example would be methods for how to seal a fuel tank. Both fiberglass and sheet metal would interest me.

Longer more detailed videos would also be of interest.

Keep up up the good work. The Hints for Home Builders is the first thing I look for in the weekly EAA e-Hotline.

Wayne

How about a firewall forward installation video. It would have to be quick, but is something everyone needs to know when building a plane.

Latest design for Hints for Homebuilders does not work for me in FireFox. The old designed seemed fine, I could watch the video on a small screen (many times I just want audio) and search for new videos at the same time. The new design doesn't even play the video. Should would like to old design back.

Quote Originally Posted by CAVU Mark View Post
    Latest design for Hints for Homebuilders does not work for me in FireFox.
    Which Firefox version are you using? On what kind of computer? What operating system is installed on that computer?
    I experimented this morning with fresh installs of Firefox (version 60) on Windows, Mac, and Android. The videos are playing correctly.
    So perhaps you just need to update your Firefox.

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/new/
    Thanks.

Hints are Helpful / Long form video suggestion

I am certainly no expert builder. Slowly making my way through a plans-built tube-n-fabric parasol. So, I continue to find the Hints for Homebuilders very helpful.

But, here's a suggestion. How about producing a multi-episode video series that follows a project from start to finish? There would be the opportunity to dive deeply into the various tasks required to complete the airplane. Costs for the development of the series could be offset by sponsorships.

Given the prevalence of kits, I would suppose that focusing on that type of project would make the most sense. But, it would be very interesting to see a plans-built aircraft project depicted this way. To that end, I wonder if sufficient video and audio were captured during the somewhat recent Mechanix Illustrated Baby Ace project to edit into a long-form video.

Probably ten minutes after I post this reply, someone at the EAA will reply with a link to exactly what I am suggesting. That would be a pleasant discovery.

Thank you again for the incredibly helpful resources that you all provide to us builders.

Quote Originally Posted by conodeuce View Post
    Which Firefox version are you using? On what kind of computer? What operating system is installed on that computer?
    I experimented this morning with fresh installs of Firefox (version 60) on Windows, Mac, and Android. The videos are playing correctly.
    So perhaps you just need to update your Firefox.

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/new/
    Thanks.
    I am using the latest FF Ver 60.0.2 on an older PC (AMD processor) A10-5700, WIN 7 Home 64 bit, 12 G of RAM, MSI 2AEO motherboard, 1G of video memory - ATI ASUS EAH5450, 931GB of disc space, cable modem on wifi, 20MB download speeds. The older version of Hints worked fine, the new version does not show the preview screen, left hand menu. uBLock is disabled.

Chrome works on the same computer. I prefer FF.

CAVU Mark, I'm tempted to move to Firefox myself. The latest version is supposedly faster (was piggish in the past). Now that Google's omnipresence is starting to creep me out, Firefox is looking more attractive.

I'm sorry that I couldn't reproduce the problem.

Best of luck.

Quote Originally Posted by conodeuce View Post

But, here's a suggestion. How about producing a multi-episode video series that follows a project from start to finish? There would be the opportunity to dive deeply into the various tasks required to complete the airplane. Costs for the development of the series could be offset by sponsorships.
    There are a ton of online builder logs with very detailed descriptions and photos. Many of these logs are of plans-built aircraft and will be applicable in a general sense for anyone building a similar aircraft. Googling will find many instances of blogs and should provide hours of valuable reading. A new video series would be more-or-less a repetition of the online resources.
    Sam Buchanan
    The RV Journal RV-6 build log
    Fokker D.VII semi-replica build log