Thread: Wood wings with fuel tanks designs-plans

Wood wings with fuel tanks designs-plans

I'm looking for plans for installing fuel tanks in wood and fabric wings. I'd like to move the fuel tank from over the passenger's head to the wings in my Woody's Pusher.
    Do any of Roger Mann's designs have tanks in the wings?
    Where else to find such plans?
    Thanks,
    Don Norris

A bunch of Aeroncas have metal tanks in the wings. Go to this page, look on the left hand side for drawings, click the link and you'll get a search window. Enter relevant terms and you'll get links to Aeronca factory drawings which should give you some ideas.

https://www.aeroncamuseum.org/

Edit: Actually seeing the drawings requires a membership/$35 donation. At one time, I seem to remember they were free.
    Last edited by Kyle Boatright; 11-26-2021 at 06:49 PM.

The Mini-Max has the option for wing tanks so does the Wag Aero Sport Trainer aka Cubby.
    Dave Shaw
    EAA 67180 Lifetime
    Learn to Build, Build to Fly, Fly for Fun

Kitfoxes have fiberglass wing tanks that are suspended between the forward and aft spars. Many installation photos available with a search on the TeamKitfox forum.
    Eric Page
    Building: Kitfox 5 Safari | Rotax 912iS | Dynon HDX
    Member: EAA Lifetime, AOPA, ALPA
    ATP: AMEL | Comm: ASEL, Glider | ATCS: CTO
    Map of Landings

My Starduster had wing tanks held by stainless straps between the spars. My Hatz has the tank in the upper wing center section; I'm not sure about the details, but the center section has a plywood floor and aluminum top skin over the tank.

My Champ's 5 gallon wing tank installation has Z shaped brackets over the front and aft spars. The top leg of the Z catches the spar and the bottom leg catches the tank. So the tank is suspended from the spar. Then, the flanges of the tank (which rest on top of 2 ribs) are screwed to the ribs from the top to keep the tank from exiting through the top of the wing if I'm doing outside loops. ;-)

Thanks, I haven't yet figured out which ones might have what I want to see. I did also find that what looks like the rest of the drawings are at the Smithsonian, and are available.
    https://airandspace.si.edu/sites/def...2019_07_10.pdf

The type of tank is going to depend on the structure of the wing. Taylorcraft wings have 6 gallon tanks set in the first rib bay. The tanks have tubes welded in them to allow for the drag and anti-drag wires. The tank has flanges that sit on the front and rear spars. My Rearwin Cloudster has large tanks in the first rib bay but there are no wires. Instead it has plywood sheet both top and bottom forming a torsion box around the tank and serving the drag wire role. The tank is held in the box with straps.
    Regards,
    Greg Young
    1950 Navion N5221K
    RV-6 N6GY - first flight 5/16/2021
    1940 Rearwin Cloudster in work
    4 L-2 projects on deck

Thanks! I'm thinking that the tank will function as the drag/anti-drag wires if attached to the top and bottom of the spars with flanges, or just the top of the spars with a plywood skin on the bottom.