Thread: June, 2013 issue of Sport Aviation

June, 2013 issue of Sport Aviation

I sure had a good laugh reading the cover line on this issue: 60 Years of Tailwinds, The first passenger-carrying homebuilt. I thought, okay, so some EAA editor has very little knowledge of aviation history and violated the primary rule of journalism by not checking his/her facts before going to print...but I wonder how the Pietenpol bunch will take this?
    I do give credit to the article's author, Jim Stanton, for correctly stating in his prose that it was the first passenger-carrying Experimental - Amateur Built category aircraft to be signed off by the Feds, but that's because it was a brand new category then and it was just a matter of timing. There were plenty of pre-E-AB category, passenger-carrying homebuilt aircraft built, registered, and legally flown prior to the Tailwind's debut.
    If EAA no longer has a resident aviation historian who can review their publications for correctness, before they go to print and embarrass themselves, send your pre-pub copy to me and I'll be happy to fact check it for you...especially the cover lines!

I believe the first one was built around 1903. But it was a few years before that model was improved and started carrying passengers.
    Someday I'll come up with something profound to put here.

I got a chuckle when SA's editor used the term "conditional inspection" in one of his articolumns.

C'mon man...

[QUOTE=Kyle Boatright;31555]I got a chuckle when SA's editor used the term "conditional inspection" in one of his articolumns

I saw that one too.