Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Private Pilot SEL and Amphibians

Private Pilot SEL and Amphibians

Folks... just a quick and possibly dumb question but I have to ask anyways.

I am a Private Pilot SEL. I eventually want to get an SES add on. I am also looking at which homebuilt design I want to go in on - and amphibians are at the top of the list.

So the question is this. Can I fly an amphibian with an SEL rating so long as I always operate it on land? I ask in case I get the aircraft done an with don't complete the SES add on or otherwise decide not to want to operate the aircraft on water. Thx in advance.

Banned
    You pose an interesting question, one I've never heard asked, so I don't have an "official authoritative" answer. However, pure logic dictates you should be able to fly an amphib with an SEL license on land only. But logic may not prevail here because it might be akin to saying I want to fly a twin on a SEL and I promise, warrant and represent that I'll only fly with only one engine operating--this may not be a good analogy.

Question for you. Why would you want an amphib(floats or flying boat) if you aren't 100% committed to getting a float endorsement? Seems like a complete waste of one-half of the airplane's versatility, function, and fun.

If you are unable to get a factual answer here I'd call a flight school or the nearest FAA office and ask for personel licensing.

I will suggest that just like you can fly a Part 23 aircraft that otherwise qualifies as an LSA using your Sport Pilot Certificate, you can fly an amphib with your land plane rating so long as you only land on airports, not on the water. You have land plane priviledges and you are legal to use them no matter that the airplane can land on other surfaces. I will suggest that the attempt to use the multi-engine rating as an example falls short as there are no multi-engine Part 23 airplanes legal to take off on one. Interestingly, some Part 25 airplanes are OK to take off with one engine inop under specific restrictions.

That said, just like you would be safer getting dual in another homebuilt of the same make and model of yours before the first flight of your own homebuilt aircraft, it only makes sense that going and getting a seaplane rating before you fly your own homebuilt seaplane, will contribute to the safety of your first splash down in the one that you built. And what if you discover that the idea of owning a seaplane is not the same as the reality of landing on water amidst speedboats and jetskis on your favorite lake?

I think that a seaplane rating is fun and if you are building, I think that you will find spending some time getting the rating a welcome break from weekends of making piles of small parts that do not yet look like an airplane.

Best of luck,

Wes

Quote Originally Posted by smj58501 View Post
    So the question is this. Can I fly an amphibian with an SEL rating so long as I always operate it on land?
    I agree with Wes, the answer is YES.

A private pilot SEL can fly a homebuilt seaplane on water or twin engine on land or water or even a helicopter as long as it is solo.

61.31-
    -(l) Exceptions. (1) This section does not require a category and class rating for aircraft not type-certificated as airplanes, rotorcraft, gliders, lighter-than-air aircraft, powered-lifts, powered parachutes, or weight-shift-control aircraft.

(2) The rating limitations of this section do not apply to—

(i) An applicant when taking a practical test given by an examiner;

(ii) The holder of a student pilot certificate;

(iii) The holder of a pilot certificate when operating an aircraft under the authority of—

(A) A provisional type certificate; or

(B) An experimental certificate, unless the operation involves carrying a passenger;

(iv) The holder of a pilot certificate with a lighter-than-air category rating when operating a balloon;

(v) The holder of a recreational pilot certificate operating under the provisions of § 61.101(h); or

(vi) The holder of a sport pilot certificate when operating a light-sport aircraft.
    Last edited by Bill Berson; 06-08-2013 at 07:59 PM.

Banned
    [QUOTE=Bill Berson;31480]A private pilot SEL can fly a homebuilt seaplane on water or twin engine on land or water or even a helicopter as long as it is solo.
    QUOTE]

Bill, I don't think you're correct about homebuilt twins. The rep for Aircam told me I need a multi-engine rating to fly it solo or + passenger. It's a fabulous airplane but this is the reason sales are low. I know you're correct for single seat heli like the Mosquito.

The Mosquito helicopter is ultralight and does not require any certificate.

Any person can solo a seaplane with nothing but a student pilot certificate and an instructors endorsement for solo.
    Once you have a private certificate of any category, endorsements for solo are not needed anymore for homebuilts.

Quote Originally Posted by smj58501 View Post
    Folks... just a quick and possibly dumb question but I have to ask anyways.

I am a Private Pilot SEL. I eventually want to get an SES add on. I am also looking at which homebuilt design I want to go in on - and amphibians are at the top of the list.

So the question is this. Can I fly an amphibian with an SEL rating so long as I always operate it on land? I ask in case I get the aircraft done an with don't complete the SES add on or otherwise decide not to want to operate the aircraft on water. Thx in advance.
    I would say yes, but only solo. (No passengers) And you can fly from land or water when solo.
    See my post # 5 for details

Now if you are asking if you may fly a seaplane with passengers from land only, that is a separate and unique question that I can't answer.
    If anyone knows, please state FAR.
    Last edited by Bill Berson; 06-08-2013 at 08:26 PM.

Banned
    Bill, I don't think you're correct about homebuilt twins. The rep for Aircam told me I need a multi-engine rating to fly it solo or + passenger.[/QUOTE]

From AirCam Owners Forum, Aug.7, 2011:

1, You DO need a twin engine rating to fly an aircam. It is experimental but u need a multi engine rating with tail dragger endorsement to fly it.

Wow.. lots of great feedback. I appreciate all of it.

A very good question was posed back to me regarding if I had any hesitation on flying floats then why would I build an amphibian. I guess at the end of the day I would answer by saying that I am 90% wanting to do it, but like to have the option of still being able to fly whatever I build in case I don't follow through on that flying pursuit for whatever reason.