Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A more light hearted topic...removal of the third class medical...

A more light hearted topic...removal of the third class medical...

I know this topic has been beaten to death, but I thought with all the angst about the FAA and Air Venture, a light hearted topic would be nice.

Hoping against hope that the FAA does grant the restricted version of the Private Certificate, think of what it would do for the used market, specifically the Archers, Warriors, 172s, Cherokees, etc, etc? There is a pile of really nice used airplanes at some very attractive prices that would be just about perfect for those that would fit into the newly formed group of pilots.

However, it would be a bit of a shocker for the S-LSA industry. Anyway, I thought it would make a nice topic to chew on.

David

Hmmm, I don't think it will do much for prices or sales for either "normal" certified aircraft (C172, etc.) or impact the LSA market, either.

There's just not enough intersection between those markets.

The pilots I know that have foregone the medical to fly under SP rules already were flying aircraft that fit the bill - Champs, Cubs, Experimentals, etc. Or had flown them in the past and were more than eager to go back down memory lane and buy one.

Prices might drop a bit for LSA compliant aircraft, but not much. And used non-LSA aircraft are already overpriced for the market.

For new aircraft, it's a whole different demographic going for each type. The CTLS, for example, is a hot little coupe that looks very modern and up to date. People shopping for a Miata or a Fiat aren't really interested in the full sized Lexus or Cadillac of the C172.

The reality of just who owns the bulk of all GA aircraft and their age foretells a huge number of aircraft being discounted to estate sale prices and even scrapped just to avoid future storage fees in the next 20 years.
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Giger View Post
    ....The reality of just who owns the bulk of all GA aircraft and their age foretells a huge number of aircraft being discounted to estate sale prices and even scrapped just to avoid future storage fees in the next 20 years.
    To say nothing of the cost of upgrading avionics to ADS-B, WAAS-capable GPS, and an EFIS that will interface to all of that. Oh yes, and a new 406-MHz ELT. These factors will reduce the attractiveness of many older aircraft to owners and buyers leading to airplanes ending up on the scrapheap.
    Bill

Shows ya' what I know.

David

Aw, I know I put a turd in your punchbowl, but it's not a subject that's light hearted to a lot of us.

We should start a thread about words and things that should never be associated with aircraft or aviation, like Fixer-upper or ​minor delay.
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

The buyer's market would increase for planes that are not LSA-compliant, but would fit within the new sans-medical guidelines. This would serve to increase their value and prices. Saying "I know some guys and they aren't interested in a 172" is nice, but not scientific nor a large enough sample to matter. Additionally, as there is no requirement for any aircraft to equip itself with a WAAS GPS or EFIS, I'm not sure where Bill is getting his information on keeping aircraft legal and airworthy.

Cost of used 172 + ADS-B Out < Cost of new CTLS

Capability of used 172 > New CTLS
    Last edited by Flyfalcons; 06-18-2013 at 07:54 AM.
    Ryan Winslow
    EAA 525529
    Stinson 108-1 "Big Red", RV-7 under construction

Quote Originally Posted by Flyfalcons View Post
    .... Additionally, as there is no requirement for any aircraft to equip itself with a WAAS GPS or EFIS, I'm not sure where Bill is getting his information on keeping aircraft legal and airworthy.
    "With ADS-B, each aircraft needs an approved ADS-B position source to calculate its precise position using highly accurate WAAS/SBAS GPS data." according to Garmin. And you must have this starting in 2020.
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Giger View Post
    Aw, I know I put a turd in your punchbowl, but it's not a subject that's light hearted to a lot of us.

We should start a thread about words and things that should never be associated with aircraft or aviation, like Fixer-upper or ​minor delay.
    No problem at all! I'm looking at this from a non-pilot viewpoint. It just seemed to me that because the restricted Private allows 180HP and a 4 seat layout, it would be a logical step that with that new certification, planes that are heavier and can handle turbulence, crosswinds and a bit more conducive to cross country antics would be more attractive than the lighter S-LSAs.

I guess I should have come up with a better title and left the sarcasm behind. I agree that it's not a light hearted subject, but in light of the turmoil with the AirVenture and the FAA, well, anyway, it didn't work. :-)

David

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    "With ADS-B, each aircraft needs an approved ADS-B position source to calculate its precise position using highly accurate WAAS/SBAS GPS data." according to Garmin. And you must have this starting in 2020.
    There are going to be ADS-B boxes with that built right in. No one is going to have to buy a G750 or Chelton EFIS to continue flying their plane. Regardless, the requirement applies to all aircraft, and everyone will be paying whether it's installed in an LSA or a cabin class twin. So the idea that it will affect used four-seaters more than LSA aircraft is not accurate.
    Ryan Winslow
    EAA 525529
    Stinson 108-1 "Big Red", RV-7 under construction

I read a review about one of the newer S-LSAs that will be equipped with ADS-B in/out from the factory. However, I don't remember which one. Of course, that means that you're buying a brand new plane. Chaching!

David