View Poll Results: Pay FAA or cancel AirVenture?

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • Pay. It's right thing to do.

2 6.45%
  • Pay. We have no choice.

5 16.13%
  • Pay this time. Never again.

2 6.45%
  • Pay and I quit. Don't give in to blackmail.

22 70.97%
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: Pay FAA or cancel Airventure?

Might it have been that this poll is closed because it was trending towards 75% of the membership exhibiting great dissatisfaction with the course of action it's management had taken ? Perhaps it would be inconvenient to have such a membership statement on record within the organizations own records ? Airventure did not die this year but options trading on future years are not likely to hold significant promise either. Mr. Pelton, you have my support for the moment. But, I urge you to think of internal reorganization rather than getting strategically cornered again.

EAA Staff / Moderator Hal Bryan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by EDGEFLY View Post
    Might it have been that this poll is closed because it was trending towards 75% of the membership exhibiting great dissatisfaction with the course of action it's management had taken ? Perhaps it would be inconvenient to have such a membership statement on record within the organizations own records ?
    No. The poll is closed because the creator of the poll - someone called wa6ilt - chose to have it close automatically after a certain number of days.

Hal Bryan
    EAA Lifetime 638979
    Vintage 714005 | Warbirds 553527
    Managing Editor
    EAA—The Spirit of Aviation

As a pilot, I hope the FAA provides Airventure services for free. That is clearly in the best interest of aviation.

As a citizen, who is concerned about the deficit and economy, I want the government to cut spending... which is exactly what the FAA is threatening to do.

We all want the government to cut spending... but not on our own interests. We want the government to raise taxes... but only on other people. That sort of wishful thinking isn't going to lead to any long term solutions. Perhaps we need to give some serious thought (not wishing), into how to fund aviation in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Hal Bryan View Post
    No. The poll is closed because the creator of the poll - someone called wa6ilt - chose to have it close automatically after a certain number of days.
    That is correct. And my name is in the signature line.
    David Reinhart
    ASN Volunteer/KFIT

Quote Originally Posted by wa6ilt View Post
    That is correct. And my name is in the signature line.
    I don't know if you use Tapatalk but it doesn't show the signature block. No worries from me and I believe Hal uses it for quick access much to his family's dismay I'm sure! :-)

Jim
    Jim Hann
    EAA 276294 Lifetime
    Vintage 722607
    1957 Piper PA-22/20 "Super Pacer"
    Chapter 32 member www.eaa32.org
    www.mykitlog.com/LinerDrivr
    Fly Baby/Hevle Classic Tandem

EAA Staff / Moderator Hal Bryan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Hann View Post
    I don't know if you use Tapatalk but it doesn't show the signature block. No worries from me and I believe Hal uses it for quick access much to his family's dismay I'm sure! :-)

Jim
    Correct on all counts, Jim. And certainly no disrespect intended to David.

Hal Bryan
    EAA Lifetime 638979
    Vintage 714005 | Warbirds 553527
    Managing Editor
    EAA—The Spirit of Aviation

Not sure if this was shared yet, but its already spreading...

"The 47th Annual Father’s Day Fly-In has been cancelled this year only due to the cost for the FAA to staff our temporary tower. An Airport Appreciation Day will be held instead on Saturday, June 15th from 9 AM until 4 PM only. The Boy Scouts will hold their annual Pancake Breakfast."

http://www.fathersdayflyin.com/index.html?0

So....... Please forgive a slightly cynical response to this incursion of politics into our flying lives but.....suppose you took your $40 and went home because the EAA got out-maneuvered by the folks who do politics for a living. Wouldn't that make our voice just that much softer and those who arebehind this symbolic trifle happier??? Get your adversaries to fight among themselves. It's working in Syria after all. Just a thought.
    Last edited by prasmussen; 06-17-2013 at 12:46 PM.
    The journey is the reward.

Quote Originally Posted by prasmussen View Post
    So....... Please forgive a slightly cynical response to this incursion of politics into our flying lives but.....suppose you took your $40 and went home because the EAA got out-maneuvered by the folks who do politics for a living. Wouldn't that make our voice just that much softer and those who arebehind this symbolic trifle happier???
    I don't think it will change their mood one way or the other. The FAA got exactly what they wanted even with the current large EAA membership base. Those large numbers didn't seem to have any effect, so I don't see how fewer members would change anything. It would be hard to imagine them being even less effective.

Quote Originally Posted by FloridaJohn View Post
    I don't think it will change their mood one way or the other. The FAA got exactly what they wanted even with the current large EAA membership base. Those large numbers didn't seem to have any effect, so I don't see how fewer members would change anything. It would be hard to imagine them being even less effective.

The reason the numbers had no effect is that EAA management rolled over and gave in. Maybe it was the right thing to do and maybe it was not. In my opinion we just missed our one big opportunity to greatly influence aviation policy in the US. By giving in we have just said in effect that we will be happy to pay user fees of all kinds. I truly believe that the management of EAA has made the wrong choice. Yes I know that declining the generous offer from the FAA would have caused great financial pain, but in the end it would have been way cheaper than what it will cost us in the long run. Others have said that we all want government to cut spending and now we are getting what we asked for. I disagree, I think most people want to see the government cut the waste and theft . Giving people cell phones is hard to defend and then paying the bills for them as well. Giving benefits just because someone is lazy and will not work is wrong. Illegals getting free money and benefits including Social Security benefits is wrong. I will gladly pay my taxes but I have a right to expect the money to be spent wisely. Giving free furnaces to people and when you go to their home to install them you have to get the new Cadillac Escalade moved in order to get in the driveway. When you go in the house the first thing you see is the biggest flat screen TV that can be had. Then you see these same people in the grocery store buying junk food with their food stamps and beer and lottery tickets with $100 dollar bills. In my job I see many of these things on a daily basis. It is truly disgusting.