View Poll Results: Pay FAA or cancel AirVenture?

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • Pay. It's right thing to do.

2 6.45%
  • Pay. We have no choice.

5 16.13%
  • Pay this time. Never again.

2 6.45%
  • Pay and I quit. Don't give in to blackmail.

22 70.97%
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Pay FAA or cancel Airventure?

Quote Originally Posted by scott f View Post
    Called and shut off my auto renew on my membership today (would have renewed end of this month). I do not want to renew until I see how EAA handles this issue.

I don't see how this is moves you in the direction you want to go. Once you're no longer a member, EAA will be even less concerned with what you think/want/demand, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Boatright View Post
    Why should taxpayers in rural Kentucky or NYC or coastal Maine help foot the bill
    Why should I pay for roads in North Dakota when I live in Florida?

You're argument also neglects the fact that these services have already been paid for in advance through aviation fuel taxes. About 20 cents per gallon.

The pay-to-play Oshkosh tower imbroglio is EXACTLY what you have been demanding - you just wanted the goring to happen to someone else's ox, right?
    Well it is not that simple. Current aviation user fees fund 71% of the FAA capital and operating budget. Just by flying our airplanes we are all ready "pay as you go" for much of the cost.

We currently pay 19.4 cents/gallon in Federal fuel tax which is designated for funding airport and Air Traffic Control operations.
    Last edited by turbopilot; 06-11-2013 at 02:51 PM.

I don't see how this is moves you in the direction you want to go. Once you're no longer a member, EAA will be even less concerned with what you think/want/demand, etc.
    Jeff, I am not really concerned with EAA meeting my "demands" as you put it. What I am very concerned with is the future of GA. You can see from the ANN article to what extant the FAA is planning to impose this stuff. If EAA manages to steer their way through this for the benefit of Experimental Aircraft and all GA, whether that is using my thoughts or not, well then I stay a member. If they need donations for help, I am there with a checkbook. But, if we get a short sighted or cave in response then they certainly don;t need my membership.

So, it's not about forcing a direction with EAA, its about wisely investing my money in causes I believe in.

Quote Originally Posted by RV8505 View Post
    Sometimes I wonder if the plane I'm building will ever fly and if so how much time is remaining to fly it?
    Since we're in the long decline from the golden age of GA, my philosophy for the experimental that I'm building is I expect to lose every dollar that I have and will invest in it. I regard it as money well spent for the joy of flying that it brings me for the time remaining. Enjoy what you can, while you can. If, in the end, I can get something for it, fine; if not, I'll still have the memories.
    Bill

The FAA & DOT had an opportunity to hike that amount years ago, with the concurrence of the aviation alphabet groups, but it never got through Congress. Also, since aviation is supposed to be a benefit to the general economy as a whole, the argument has been that some of the funds support the NAS should come from the general funds.
    Quote Originally Posted by turbopilot View Post
    Well it is not that simple. Current aviation user fees fund 71% of the FAA capital and operating budget. Just by flying our airplanes we are all ready "pay as you go" for much of the cost.

We currently pay 19.4 cents/gallon in Federal fuel tax which is designated for funding airport and Air Traffic Control operations.
    David Reinhart
    ASN Volunteer/KFIT

EAA Staff / Moderator Hal Bryan's Avatar
    I'll post this link in each of these threads, just to make sure that you all see it:

http://www.eaa.org/news/2013/2013-06...TC-demands.asp

Hal Bryan
    EAA Lifetime 638979
    Vintage 714005 | Warbirds 553527
    Managing Editor
    EAA—The Spirit of Aviation

It is a shame, and I hope this is something that EAA will continue to pursue with Congress and maybe in court if there is any likelihood of prevailing there.

It's going to be a fun meeting if the head of the FAA shows up for the public session at Airventure as they usually do. Maybe we should organize a mass shoe throwing!

I'd really like to know how high in the FAA this decision went and the particular person or persons responsible.

Unfortunately, with the EAA HQ organization capitulating, that also sets the precedence for all the regional fly-ins, of which having FAA controllers is of dubious value to begin with. Tower services will soon follow. So now we can pay over and over. IMHO, capitulating was very short sighted on the part of the EAA HQ. We get a short term gain in keeping this years cash cow on schedule, but gave away the farm. I'd rather we cancel AirVenture for a year than give in to extortion. It really saddens me to see the EAA be the first in the US to give in to FAA user fees. Once that line has been crossed, you can't uncross it.

I'll wait and see how the EAA HQ handles this after the fact, but I'm not sure I want to belong to an organization that is leading the way into user fees, as this means the destruction of General Aviation once and for all. Welcome to the new Europe.

I'm thinking AOPA could use the funds I've been paying the EAA as they seem to have a better focus on the big picture.

-CubBuilder

Quote Originally Posted by Hal Bryan View Post
    I'll post this link in each of these threads, just to make sure that you all see it:

http://www.eaa.org/news/2013/2013-06...TC-demands.asp

I guess 20 years was long enough for me to be a member, I will not be renewing. Honestly, I realize that my EAA, Warbirds and IAC membership money is chump change to AirVenture Inc, however I bet I can find a better use for it.