Thread: Are email notifications sent every time a reply is posted to a subscribed thread?

Some where in the South Pacific,I also do Flyovers for the Green Bay Packers Home Games,GO PacK GO!!

Are email notifications sent every time a reply is posted to a subscribed thread?

Hello,

Are email notifications sent every time a reply is posted to a subscribed thread?
    Or is there some random algorithm built into forums software, periodically sending reply email not notifications.

If there is random email notifications sent, is there a preference feature to have all reply post to subscribed threads
    send a email notification?

Thanks,

EAA Staff / Moderator Hal Bryan's Avatar
    By default, vBulletin subscribes you to threads you create or those to which you've replied, in addition to any to which you've manually subscribed. As far as email notifications go, the default is set to send one email per subscribed thread per day - I believe they go out around midnight CDT.

If you click Settings, then General Settings and look under Messaging and Notification, you can adjust this behavior there. If you truly want an email every time someone subscribes, you can just set the Thread Subscription Mode to "Instantly, Using Email."

Hal Bryan
    EAA Lifetime 638979
    Vintage 714005 | Warbirds 553527
    Managing Editor
    EAA—The Spirit of Aviation

Some where in the South Pacific,I also do Flyovers for the Green Bay Packers Home Games,GO PacK GO!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hal Bryan View Post
    If you click Settings, then General Settings and look under Messaging and Notification, you can adjust this behavior there. If you truly want an email every time someone subscribes, you can just set the Thread Subscription Mode to "Instantly, Using Email."
    Hal,

According to this FAQ page http://eaaforums.org/faq.php?faq=vb3..._subscriptions
    It states:
    Instant Email Notification
    - sends an email as soon as a new post is added to the thread. This is not sent for every reply and will only be sent once until you revisit the forums.

The statement: "This is not sent for every reply and will only be sent once, until you revisit the forums".

That tells me that vBulletin® Using Instant Email Notification is NOT sending an email notification for ALL subscribed thread replies.

This statement: "until you revisit the forums". I assume means it's going to send more email notifications when you revisit/log back in to the forums.
    Why would it send you email notifications when your back on the forums looking at your Subscription? I must be missing something.

This is what it says in General Settings under the Default Thread Subscription Mode:
    "When you post a new thread, or reply to a topic, you can choose to automatically add that thread to your list of subscribed threads, with the option to receive email notification of new replies to that thread".
    There is no mention of: This is not sent for every reply.

When I'm following a thread topic, receiving ALL replies through Instant Email Notification enables me to reply quicker so that the person that just added a new post/reply to the thread isn't waiting too long for a reply back.
    You never know, the person might have a engine in one hand and typing with the other and needs a quick answer to the problem.

Thanks,

EAA Staff / Moderator Hal Bryan's Avatar
    That is a bit muddled, isn't it?

As I understand it, the "this is not sent for every reply / will only be sent once" means that if you start a thread, and someone replies, it will email you at that point. If there are more replies before you've gone back to the forum to read them, it won't "bother" you. In other words, while you're away from the forums, it will only email you once per thread to tell you that someone has replied, instead of spamming you for every single response.

The "until you revisit" bit just means that the feature resets, like so:

1. You login to the forums and post a thread and then leave to go to a Packers game.
    2. While you're gone, someone replies - you get an email.
    3. 10 more people replied - you don't get an email, as vBulletin has already "told" you that there's been at least one reply.
    4. You get back from the game, login, and read the 11 replies.
    5. You leave and go flying.
    6. While you're flying, a 12th person replies - because the "counter" has reset, you get an email.
    7. And so on...

Hal Bryan
    EAA Lifetime 638979
    Vintage 714005 | Warbirds 553527
    Managing Editor
    EAA—The Spirit of Aviation