Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: FAA wants $500,000 or No AirVenture That adds up to $10,000 per AirTraffic Controller

Lakeland was a bit different because it was part of a nationwide tower cutback. Oshkosh wasn't on that list, as far as I know. So why single out one airport? The answer, I think is the administration wants to target GA and the jet set. That's why this so important.
    EAA should strongly push the grass roots image now!

Did the FAA promise to shut down the tower if payment was refused? What is the FAA plan if payment is refused?

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Berson View Post
    Lakeland was a bit different because it was part of a nationwide tower cutback. Oshkosh wasn't on that list, as far as I know.
    Oshkosh tower was, indeed, on the list of potential closures. However, I will agree that SnF was a bit different situation, because the tower closures and ATC cutbacks were scheduled to begin right around the same time as SnF was to happen. I think, given the circumstances, that SnF did the right thing. If you think the timeline between now and the Oshkosh fly-in is short, you should have seen how little time SnF had to act. If I remember correctly, they had less than a month to figure something out. Of course, as we all know now, after they agreed to pay the FAA, congress restored funding for ATC, but by then it was too late for SnF.

I do think, though, that they inadvertantly taught the FAA how to extract payment from large fly-ins: wait until the last minute to announce the fee, giving the fly-in little opportunity to stop it or form an alternate plan.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Berson View Post
    Did the FAA promise to shut down the tower if payment was refused? What is the FAA plan if payment is refused?
    I don't think the FAA has formally said anything about the consequences of non-payment. That's why I would like to see EAA call their bluff. Is the FAA really willing to put lives at risk to get some money from EAA? Especially if safety is their "mission?"

John, thanks for that correction.
    I think EAA could tell the FAA that it's not EAA's job to collect user fees.
    Another suggestion would be to reduce the hours at Oshkosh tower now (if possible), and save the money for when the tower is really needed last week of July. I don't have the operation numbers (by time of day)for KOSH.
    Airnav lists 249 operations averaged of 12 months for KOSH.
    Arlington (AWO) is listed with 367 operations and doesn't have a tower!
    And my sleepy local non- towered airport (0s9) lists 159 operations average.

But average doesn't mean much. I think all towers should only be staffed as needed during peak hours.
    Less tower hours also allows sport pilots a chance to fly in the off hours.
    Last edited by Bill Berson; 06-07-2013 at 01:51 PM. Reason: Add AWO numbers

Pleased to see both of my senators signed the letter.

Quote Originally Posted by MEdwards View Post
    Pleased to see both of my senators signed the letter.

So did mine. But then again, I'm from OK and wouldn't expect anything less. Inhofe especially.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Rosenow View Post
    Careful, Bill. You're getting too close to the truth. They're cataloging your phone calls and reading your emails....I think we can assume they're everywhere!! Been nice knowing you!! LMAO..........I hope

Jim
    Sadly, from the news of this past week, they ARE in fact doing just that.

I live in the DC area, and more and more often lately, when glancing at the headlines in a newspaper, it is hard to tell whether I am looking at the Onion or the Washington Post. Sometimes the confusion persists well into reading the story under the headline!

"FAA charges users for required safety already paid for by Congress. Government adopts profit-centered business model used by Enron."