Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: FAA wants $500,000 or No AirVenture That adds up to $10,000 per AirTraffic Controller

EAA Staff / Moderator Hal Bryan's Avatar
    Nobody has paid anything at this point. This situation is far, far from over.

Hal Bryan
    EAA Lifetime 638979
    Vintage 714005 | Warbirds 553527
    Managing Editor
    EAA—The Spirit of Aviation

President Reagan fired all 12,000 controllers in the 80’s. Catastrophe was predicted,but didn't happen, as I recall.
    Sometimes it takes a bold leader.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Berson View Post
    President Reagan fired all 12,000 controllers in the 80’s. Catastrophe was predicted,but didn't happen, as I recall.
    Catastrophe didn't happen because there was sufficient time to put a comprehensive, almost seemless alternative plan in place to avert catastrophe that gave Reagan the hammer to fire them. At the moment they were fired the plan to replace them with military controllers immediately went into effect. It's wasn't about being bold at all, it was having the time to carefully think about alternative action and implement it.

The EAA in the fight with FAA has not been given the luxury of time to plan contingencies. That's why the FAA has us by the short and curlies!(so far).

It seems to me this FAA demand for payment in advance, with short notice before Airventure is extortion. Only the Mafia has had this power in the past.
    I don't think EAA should set a precedent and pay extortion money. The entire country is at stake here, not just Oshkosh.

Banned
    I don't think EAA should set a precedent and pay extortion money.
    Not the case. If EAA pays, they would be following the precedent already set by Sun n'Fun.

The entire country is at stake here, not just Oshkosh.
    Careful, Bill. You're getting too close to the truth. They're cataloging your phone calls and reading your emails....I think we can assume they're everywhere!! Been nice knowing you!! LMAO..........I hope

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Floatsflyer View Post
    Not the case. If EAA pays, they would be following the precedent already set by Sun n'Fun.
    Not quite the same thing Floats... Sun and Fun is a corporation that exists to put on airshows. EAA while they put on an airshow is the 2nd largest Aviation Lobbying group in the country.

Banned
    [QUOTE=Bill Berson;31406]It seems to me this FAA demand for payment in advance, with short notice before Airventure is extortion.QUOTE]

I honestly would go a step further and characterize it as financial terrorism. Perhaps we could get Homeland Security involved in this debacle.

I'm reminded about the froorah regarding the airport closures earlier this year. The main response in the pilot community was, "Meh." So they took it back and found something else to attack.

Ron Wanttaja

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by scott f View Post
    Not quite the same thing Floats... Sun and Fun is a corporation that exists to put on airshows. EAA while they put on an airshow is the 2nd largest Aviation Lobbying group in the country.
    I understand the destinction, but like Sun n' Fun, EAA Oshkosh to a much greater degree, is not only concerned about the impact on a daily airshow but much more importantly, the impact on the tens of thousands who fly in as attendees.