Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FAA wants $500,000 or No AirVenture That adds up to $10,000 per AirTraffic Controller

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Some where in the South Pacific,I also do Flyovers for the Green Bay Packers Home Games,GO PacK GO!!

FAA wants $500,000 or No AirVenture That adds up to $10,000 per AirTraffic Controller

My understanding is the FAA provides EAA AirVenture with one hundred FAA employees,
    Fifty of them are actually performing Air Traffic Control tower duties.
    FAA wants $500,000 for the one hundred FAA employees for the AirVenture week.
    That would add up to $5,000 per FAA employee!
    Or $10,000 per Air Traffic Controller for the fifty that are actually performing Air Traffic Control tower duties.
    Why not tell the FAA to send the other fifty FAA employees home, that are not Helping Air Planes Land and save yourself $250,000

Sequestration can work both ways.

Below are links to Local News Stories on the topic:

WBAY TV 2 News, Video & Text

WLUK TV 11 News, Video & Text

Postcrescent News Paper, Video & Text
    Last edited by Wrongway Feldman; 06-05-2013 at 08:00 AM.

Yep... My quick math indicates a fully burdened rate for a Controller is about $3400 per week. Add in travel, food and lodging and $5000 seems about right.

Perhaps we simply should invite the President! Then we would get all the Controllers we could stand.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Klapka View Post
    Perhaps we simply should invite the President! Then we would get all the Controllers we could stand.
    Nah....then we'd have a no fly zone for 2 days! Wouldn't need ATC.

What if I offered him a ride? I have to fly past the DC FRZ anyhow to get to OSH.

Would that make my callsign "GenAv One"?

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Klapka View Post
    What if I offered him a ride? I have to fly past the DC FRZ anyhow to get to OSH.

Would that make my callsign "GenAv One"?
    No, it's "Executive One."

Ron Wanttaja

So, what I am really wondering is why the controllers for the show are paid, in the first place.

I thought the entire show was run by volunteers, with a few exceptions.

Nah....then we'd have a no fly zone for 2 days! Wouldn't need ATC.

You took the words right out of my mouth. Maybe some idiot will tell him that there are 300,000+ people at Oshkosh and he should go there and make a money raising speech. Shut my mouth for even thinking that!!!!!

EAA Staff / Moderator Hal Bryan's Avatar
    Nobody has paid anything at this point. This situation is far, far from over.

Hal Bryan
    EAA Lifetime 638979
    Vintage 714005 | Warbirds 553527
    Managing Editor
    EAA—The Spirit of Aviation

President Reagan fired all 12,000 controllers in the 80’s. Catastrophe was predicted,but didn't happen, as I recall.
    Sometimes it takes a bold leader.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Berson View Post
    President Reagan fired all 12,000 controllers in the 80’s. Catastrophe was predicted,but didn't happen, as I recall.
    Sometimes it takes a bold leader.
    Catastrophe didn't happen because there was sufficient time to put a comprehensive, almost seemless alternative plan in place to avert catastrophe that gave Reagan the hammer to fire them. At the moment they were fired the plan to replace them with military controllers immediately went into effect. It's wasn't about being bold at all, it was having the time to carefully think about alternative action and implement it.

The EAA in the fight with FAA has not been given the luxury of time to plan contingencies. That's why the FAA has us by the short and curlies!(so far).