Thread: A discount for volunteering?

A discount for volunteering?

I was just wondering if volunteers at Airventure get any kind of discount off Airventure? I know many would actually pay extra just for the chance to be a part of the world's biggest aviation event, but I noticed alot if volunteers spend many days at OSH and doesn't that get kinda expensive? (admission+gas+lodging+food for a week sure adds up!) Thanks.
    *** Life is Lead Points and Habit Patterns ***

I have volunteered for many years. I get my weekly wristband and camping paid for. When you are working, they also bring around sandwiches and chips/drinks for the volunteers. Hope this helps.
    Glenn Brasch
    KRYN Tucson, Arizona
    2013 RV-9A
    Medevac helicopter pilot (Ret)
    EAA member since 1980
    Owner, "Airport Courtesy Cars" website.
    www.airportcourtesycars.com
    Volunteer Mentor www.SoAZTeenAviation.org

You mean you get free admission and camping? How does one qualify?
    Last edited by WingsAloft; 05-30-2013 at 08:08 PM.

Wings, I'm saying more than I know here, but....I volunteer most years, but it's just a few days, and I receive nothing special other than the great glow I receive from volunteering at the worlds greatest aviation event. Oh, and for the years they have them, all volunteers get the free T-shirt. Operation Thirst (drinks & sandwiches/snacks) are for all volunteers as well. There's some formula involved for the better comps. Let's just say it takes a LOT of volunteering to get to that point. Like every day of the show, plus some days before and after. At least, those who've fessed up that they were comp'd some things gave that indication. You won't find much chatter about it. I figured Glenn's response broke the ice so figured I'd add a bit.

Carl Orton
    Sonex #1170 / Zenith 750 Cruzer
    http://mykitlog.com/corton

Free sandwiches and a T-shirt? That would be enough for me!

The comps I mentioned take 40 hours of work... I work with my son so in our case that is combined time, but we end up doing more anyway.
    Glenn Brasch
    KRYN Tucson, Arizona
    2013 RV-9A
    Medevac helicopter pilot (Ret)
    EAA member since 1980
    Owner, "Airport Courtesy Cars" website.
    www.airportcourtesycars.com
    Volunteer Mentor www.SoAZTeenAviation.org

I'd be happy to volunteer, but my insides rebel at the idea of paying entrance and then spending the time working. Supposedly, they have trouble finding enough volunteers. I'll do it for free, but I won't pay for the privilege. YMMV, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by StuBob View Post
    I'd be happy to volunteer, but my insides rebel at the idea of paying entrance and then spending the time working. Supposedly, they have trouble finding enough volunteers. I'll do it for free, but I won't pay for the privilege. YMMV, of course.
    I probably won't articulate this to match what my mind is trying to say, but I view it that I receive more in return than I give. I don't volunteer anywhere near enough to "earn" any comps (other than the t-shirt!), but it's kind of like helping out in your community. And Oshkosh *is* my community even though I don't live there. Do you pitch in if your home town is flooded or damaged by storms? You paid your taxes for infrastructure and services, so why should you have to do it?

Human nature for the most part has the built-in ability to help out. So we do. I've made more friends at Oshkosh than anyplace else. I only see these folks at Oshkosh, yet every year we pick up where we left off like 51 weeks was only yesterday. I've parked planes and had the joy of seeing a young family exit their plane for their first trip to Oshkosh. When you greet them with "Welcome to Oshkosh!" and see the wonderment and excitement in their faces, the payment I've received makes it all worthwhile.

Carl Orton
    Sonex #1170 / Zenith 750 Cruzer
    http://mykitlog.com/corton

It's my understanding if you volunteer 20 hours this year, your entry fee is waived for next year. You pay and work only for that first year.