Thread: pa 20 landing gear

pa 20 landing gear

Hello, I'm searching for information on how to deal with the landing gear on the pa20.......the gear I have has 1 1/4" axles.....There must be a conversion kit somewhere out there but I haven't found it yet.......I would prefer 6.00 -6 wheels and the wheels I have found so far need a 1 1/2 " axle.....it seems that an STC to convert this landing gear could be a possibility also......or would it be more reasonable to just go with the 5.00 - 5....I haven't looked into these....I would appreciate your thoughts, Randy

Do you have a PA-20 parts book? Univair stocks a the PA-20 parts that you need. Do you have 7.00-6's on now?

Looking at the Univair web site I see that the original landing gear is set up for drum brakes but there are STC-ed conversions to Cleveland disk brakes and wheels.

If you really want the heavier axle, the axle is welded to the landing gear and the STC conversion that gets you the larger axles replaces the main landing gear. Looks like you will spend $3000 by the time you are done. I suspect that if you fly off paved runways you do not need this.

Best of luck,

Wes
    N78PS
    Last edited by WLIU; 05-25-2013 at 02:25 PM.

Yes,I do have a parts book. It says that the part is discontinued, I'm assuming because the originals were drum as you have said......That's why I was thinking there must be a conversion. I"ll have to visit the Univair website again and find that... Thanks,Randy

Do you belong to the Short Wing Piper Club? http://www.shortwingpiperclub.org/

You are not the first guy to ask this question. I expect that those folks have answers.

Best of luck,

Wes

Quote Originally Posted by WLIU View Post
    Do you belong to the Short Wing Piper Club? http://www.shortwingpiperclub.org/

You are not the first guy to ask this question. I expect that those folks have answers.

Best of luck,

Wes
    SWPC is definitely a good place to start. ShortWingPipers.Org is a good group also, I belong to both.

Jim
    Jim Hann
    EAA 276294 Lifetime
    Vintage 722607
    1957 Piper PA-22/20 "Super Pacer"
    Chapter 32 member www.eaa32.org
    www.mykitlog.com/LinerDrivr
    Fly Baby/Hevle Classic Tandem

Ran into a short wing piper owner I know today. Mentioned axles and he reported that there is someone out there who will take your landing gear, remove the 1 1/4" axles and weld the bigger ones on. Thinks that he saw the info in the club newsletter but did not have the newsletter nearby. May be worth investigating.

Best of luck,

Wes
    N78PS

I think you will find there are 6:00x6 wheels available for both the 1 1/2 and 1 1/4 axles. Aircraft Spruce part number 06-00591 is a Grove 6:00x6 wheel and disc brake for a 1 1/4" axle. It's designed as a bolt on replacement for the Cubs with a max static loading of 1250# per wheel. Seems to me there is also a Cleveland equivalent as well as that is what I have on my SuperCub clone, but you have to go dig around in the catalogs to find what you're looking for, and the Cleveland listings in the Aircraft Spruce catalogs don't provide you with enough information to find what you need.

Chance Aviation is a Cleveland brake dealer and has their master catalog on line for download. While there are lots of cross references in it, it doesn't list the axle size, but I'd bet a phone call to them would get you an answer as to what part number is a 6:00x6 wheel for a 1 1/4" axle.

-CubBuilder

Quote Originally Posted by skyhawk721 View Post
    Hello, I'm searching for information on how to deal with the landing gear on the pa20.......the gear I have has 1 1/4" axles.....There must be a conversion kit somewhere out there but I haven't found it yet.......I would prefer 6.00 -6 wheels and the wheels I have found so far need a 1 1/2 " axle.....it seems that an STC to convert this landing gear could be a possibility also......or would it be more reasonable to just go with the 5.00 - 5....I haven't looked into these....I would appreciate your thoughts, Randy
    From page 131 of the Univair Catalog: http://univairparts.com/pdfs/Catalog...als-Cables.pdf

STC-SA11RM for Cleveland Wheels and Brakes • J-3, PA-11, PA-12,
    PA-14, PA-15, PA-16, PA-17, PA-18 and PA-20 Brake Conversion

Cleveland Wheel and Brake Conversions for Piper

For use with 1¼” axles

Cleveland Wheel and Brake Kit.............. 199-07100 .. $1,846.41

Installation of this kit may require:
    Lines (2 each) .................................................. .............. U60703-002 ..........$47.55
    Elbows (2 each) .................................................. ................... 402X4 ............$3.00
    Elbows (2 each) .................................................. ................... 502X4 ............$7.26
    Jim Hann
    EAA 276294 Lifetime
    Vintage 722607
    1957 Piper PA-22/20 "Super Pacer"
    Chapter 32 member www.eaa32.org
    www.mykitlog.com/LinerDrivr
    Fly Baby/Hevle Classic Tandem

Thanks to each for the responses.......I'm not a member of the Short Wing club ,but have looked and plan on joining in the future....The more I learn about the short wing group ,the more practical they seem to me as there is many options depending on ones interest....
    There's quite a bit of information here to process,it will take a while to process and I'll probably go with durable but efficient option....
    Also,over the weekend,I took some time and researched Timken Wheel Bearings and there is a website with the specs for their FAA/PMA bearings...and phone numbers for their aviation support division......looks like something should work out with one of the above options....
    Thanks to each again...........