Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Camping

Camping

This will be my families first trip to Oshkosh. Anyone have suggestions for a place to tent camp?

Yeah, at Oshkosh. Seriously, Camp Scholler on Wittman airfield is great. Click on this link to learn more about all the options: http://www.airventure.org/planning/where_to_stay.html
    Todd “I drink and know things” Stovall
    PP ASEL - IA
    RV-10 N728TT - Flying
    EAA Lifetime Member
    WAR DAMN EAGLE!

Sleepy Hollow Farm Campground, 1/2 mile west of main gate.
    Been staying there for the past 12 years.

Camp Schollar is very convenient. However, if you are tent camping, take ear plugs. Generally, the tent spots between 28th street and the airfield are fully occupied early on and thru the week. That puts you on 1st thru 16th street, between highway 41 and the 24 hour generator areas. Sandwiched between the drone of trucks on Highway 41 and the 24 hour generator noise is not conducive to the best sleep. Two years ago I spoke up on these points at the President's Forum and someone was directed to look into it. I guess it looked pretty good so the 24 hour generator area was expanded even further south to the limits of the camping area Not sure why the 24 hour generators can't be all the way out to highway 41 between Elm and Lingbergh and give tent campers a shot at a good night sleep. Of course, you can take your pet and maybe get up against the fields on 28th street in the pet non generator area. That is pretty sweet.

I have a co-worker who lives in Oshkosh. He has been out checking out the new berm they built on the western edge of Scholler to cut down the road noise and reports it to be very effective in reducing the hi freq noise the is most irritating. Not silence but a big improvement.
    Jim Hann
    EAA 276294 Lifetime
    Vintage 722607
    1957 Piper PA-22/20 "Super Pacer"
    Chapter 32 member www.eaa32.org
    www.mykitlog.com/LinerDrivr
    Fly Baby/Hevle Classic Tandem

Question Setting up camp before airplane arrival?

If your ground crew (eg. Family members driving) arrive before Airplane can they set up a tent in the N40 in advance of the aircraft arrival?

Some where in the South Pacific,I also do Flyovers for the Green Bay Packers Home Games,GO PacK GO!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Hann View Post
    I have a co-worker who lives in Oshkosh. He has been out checking out the new berm they built on the western edge of Scholler to cut down the road noise and reports it to be very effective in reducing the hi freq noise the is most irritating. Not silence but a big improvement.
    I'm assuming the hi freq road noise during the day is annoying.
    I have found a effective way to combat hi freq road noise at night to enjoy a good night sleep. "Ear Plugs"
    Last edited by Wrongway Feldman; 06-06-2013 at 03:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Klapka View Post
    If your ground crew (eg. Family members driving) arrive before Airplane can they set up a tent in the N40 in advance of the aircraft arrival?
    I'm afraid that camping without an airplane in the North 40, even when an airplane is later anticipated, isn't allowed. It's one of those things which has been abused in the past, causes resentment among other members, and has been found the hard way to be just a generally bad idea.

Cheers,
    Garrett Nievin, EAA #163899
    Chairman, AirVenture Flight Line Operations

I kinda sorta figured that would be the answer...but you never know...

i guess I better get there first!

Quote Originally Posted by Wrongway Feldman View Post
    I'm assuming the hi freq road noise during the day is annoying.
    I have found a effective way to combat hi freq road noise at night to enjoy a good night sleep. "Ear Plugs"
    Yep. An excellent solution to loud neighbors, a snoring tentmate, a nighttime thunderstorm, and banging porta pottie doors. Wouldn't leave home without 'em.