Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Drones..not more talk about Drones......

Some of these "vehicles" are pretty small, your local Sheriff's Dept will want some for Search and Rescue and these are short range, line of sight, low flyers. It's not clear what kind of training and operating procedures will be required for this kinda stuff. Many won't fly out of airports, they can be carried in the trunk of car or SUV and launched off a road or parking lot, even "hand launched". Flying at or below 400 feet in the non-airport environment should be "reasonably safe" since most aircraft in the GA/EXP class don't operate that low outside the airport traffic pattern. As a hazard, this rates about the same as a bird strike, but if we wait a few years we'll probably read about some accident involving one. There are a lot of people working to sort out training and rules but the powers that be aren't ready to present a plan to the public yet. Your "Dog and Pony show" may be the start of a "public education program" to get people open to the changes that are coming.

Joe

Joe this is what we thought. I also believe they are trying to sell this idea of crop checking and such to the local farmers. I also believe these will be small units that are able to be carried in the trunk of a car but I guess we will see.

Quote Originally Posted by martymayes View Post
    By definition, a drone is capable of being flown beyond line of site and/or weighs more than 55 lbs and/or used for commerical purposes. The FAA will regulate drones but the rules have yet to be written so I think it's a bit premature to worry about specifics.
    Congress gave them a 2 year mandate to make rules to allow them to be used. I'm not sure when that has to be done by, but it will happen.
    KSCessnaDriver
    ATP MEL, Commercial Lighter Than Air-Airship, SEL, CFI/CFII
    Private SES

KSCDVR,

Yes, since some colleges are already offering degree programs in this type of work and that is now a "growth" area of opportunity, you know the train has left the station.

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by kscessnadriver View Post
    Congress gave them a 2 year mandate to make rules to allow them to be used. I'm not sure when that has to be done by, but it will happen.
    Yup, I'll know the impact when I can read the regs. But honestly, I'm more interested in hearing how and where details of the first drone "shootdown" lol

Quote Originally Posted by martymayes View Post
    Yup, I'll know the impact when I can read the regs. But honestly, I'm more interested in hearing how and where details of the first drone "shootdown" lol
    Gee Vern, I ain't never seed a turkey buzzard explode like that before...

Just make sure that the one you shoot down doesn't belong to the Sheriff's Dept!!!!

Joe

hi, I have flown these models. Generally they weigh under a kilo and are made of polystyrene with small electric power systems.
    Look on FPVLABS or rcgroups (video piloting)- all the info on the amateur side of uav's.